Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
new windshield
I thought that when you buy a windshield that is made with a vent hole you have to buy the vent also. Isn't this right, or do they come with the vent? Now you guys got me confused. Don't do that to me. :cry:
#31 01-22-2007, 05:45 PM,
from Tulsa website
W12120 Hon GL 1200 Windshield (Clr) Each $146.00 inc s/h $161.00
W12125 Hon GL 1200 Windshield (Clr) w/ VH Each $156.00 inc s/h $171.00

W15170 Air Vent (Clear) Each $49.95 inc s/h $56.95
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#32 01-22-2007, 06:22 PM,
At J&P Cycles online, all the vented Memphis Shades come with the vents at no extra charge.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=7D9B250E-9EFD-4DD9-BC80-DF37B5FAF2C5&search=Gold%20Wing%20Windshields&store=Metric&page=1">http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.as ... ric&page=1</a><!-- m -->

I fitted a tall vented 1500 windshield on mine and I love it. I had to modify the bolt holes and cut the bottom the same as the 1200 but everything worked out great. It's about 4" wider and a good 4" to 5" taller. It cut into my fuel mileage some but it's worth it on those cold or rainy days.
#33 01-22-2007, 06:59 PM,
The Memphis Shields do seem a little less costly than the Tulsa, I think the Tulsa is a little taller and sweeps back somewhat, maybe that's why people say the fuel economy with them seems to improve.
I never checked the difference between the two shields on gas mileage but with it being quite tall it sure reduces the wind buffeting.

#34 01-22-2007, 09:00 PM,
longhaireddwb Wrote:I looked at the Tulsa windshields and they didn't have a Tall, Vented windshield for the 1200. If you find one would you let me know? I'm tired of looking halfway threw and halfway above the windshield also!

If I could get a Taller (4" taller than the stock 23 1/2"), vented, tinted Tulsa windshield, I'd would have just what I want but I'm not having any luck with finding it. Please keep me posted on what you find.

I just ordered a Tulsa with Vent. Hopefully be here in a week or so. Quite a bit taller than stock according to Tulsa
#35 02-12-2007, 07:40 AM,
I notice you come from Texas and the summer weather there can get somewhat extreme. Our summer weather gets up into the 90's but I still like to ride behind my Tulsa, with the vent and side wings I feel like it is cooler than using the stock shield but I am probably kidding myself.
I like it though, not having the bugs to contend with.
I use a real wet cloth to remove the bodies and remnants and then Plexus to polish the shield.

#36 02-12-2007, 09:18 AM,
tricky Wrote:I notice you come from Texas and the summer weather there can get somewhat extreme. Our summer weather gets up into the 90's but I still like to ride behind my Tulsa, with the vent and side wings I feel like it is cooler than using the stock shield but I am probably kidding myself.
I like it though, not having the bugs to contend with.
I use a real wet cloth to remove the bodies and remnants and then Plexus to polish the shield.

Haven't received mine yet but the windshield on my bike now is almost perfect for its' age. I've maintained the windshield as you have and it has stayed great. I plan to do the same to the new one also. I kinda want the taller one for the rider on the back as much as myself.
Can you tell if the Tulsa is any thicker than original windsheild? Just wondering.

Yes, it does get plenty hot down here. 95 to 100 degrees F. in the summer but that only lasts for a couple of months then it gets a little more bearable. It's the humidity that kills us here more than anything else.

Dave (Pappy) Young
#37 02-12-2007, 11:42 AM,
I think it is a little thicker, I cant remember if longer bolts were included but what ever, it fits OK. One does have to get used to the swept back style and for the first couple of times you get to bang your helmet on the top.... hope your wearing a helmet Smile

#38 02-12-2007, 02:11 PM,
tricky Wrote:I think it is a little thicker, I cant remember if longer bolts were included but what ever, it fits OK. One does have to get used to the swept back style and for the first couple of times you get to bang your helmet on the top.... hope your wearing a helmet Smile

Oh, yeah, I do wear a helmet. Was wondering about the "kickback" of the windshield but will get used to it, I'm sure. 'Course, at 5'6", it may be a little bit harder to hit the windshield.

Dave (Pappy) Young
#39 02-12-2007, 02:28 PM,
HA ha I think you would have to be 4'6" not to hit it if your not thinking Smile You just alter the way you mount the bike. I only did it once, I am the same size.. I call it vertically challenged.

#40 02-12-2007, 03:07 PM,
tricky Wrote:HA ha I think you would have to be 4'6" not to hit it if your not thinking Smile You just alter the way you mount the bike. I only did it once, I am the same size.. I call it vertically challenged.

Nope, the good Lord just built the ground too close to my fanny.

Dave (Pappy) Young
#41 02-12-2007, 03:14 PM,
I ordered mine this morning. Tinted with a vent hole and a vent. They said 1 and a 1/2 weeks to get it. I can't wait to get it and give it a try. I was told by a friend that has a 1200 to start practicing taking the bike off of the center stand without sitting on it. I didn't think about that.

I'm 6 feet tall. I wonder how many times I will hit it with my head before I learn. I hope not more than twice. It take two times for me to learn most things.
#42 02-12-2007, 04:10 PM,
Hey LHD,

I put a Cee Baily's on my '84 last summer. I think it's OK. Not as much turbulence as the stock windshield, did OK in the rain.

I know you've ordered a new windshield but if you want to come over and have a look at mine you're welcome. I'm in the Springs also.

Now if I can just get all the junk away from the bike.....

Tony
Next time you think you're perfect, try walking on water.
#43 02-13-2007, 09:31 PM,
toe_hold Wrote:Hey LHD,

I put a Cee Baily's on my '84 last summer. I think it's OK. Not as much turbulence as the stock windshield, did OK in the rain.

I know you've ordered a new windshield but if you want to come over and have a look at mine you're welcome. I'm in the Springs also.

Now if I can just get all the junk away from the bike.....

Tony

OOOOOH Shame on you letting a little snow stop your riding. Poor thing, I bet you don't even give it a hug in the morning, huh. HAHAHA

Dave (Pappy) Young
#44 02-14-2007, 07:13 AM,
longhaireddwb Wrote:I ordered mine this morning. Tinted with a vent hole and a vent. They said 1 and a 1/2 weeks to get it. I can't wait to get it and give it a try. I was told by a friend that has a 1200 to start practicing taking the bike off of the center stand without sitting on it. I didn't think about that.

I'm 6 feet tall. I wonder how many times I will hit it with my head before I learn. I hope not more than twice. It take two times for me to learn most things.

You hit your head when you lean over to mount the bike, I couldn't take mine of the center stand while sitting on the bike if I tried.

#45 02-14-2007, 08:15 AM,