Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Finally got out to take a ride
Hi Everybody,
Yesterday was the first time since I was taken ill back at the beginning of October that I felt well enough and almost pain free to take a ride. It was a typical Pittsburgh November day. 48 degrees, overcast and threatening rain showers. But what the heck, my older brother (Nomad Bill the Wing giver) and my youngest son (Virago Chris) and I were all off yesterday and figured that it was time to get me out on the "Happy Girl" and get the stink blowed off of me. And that we did my friends that we did. Man what a day and what a difference a ride can make in a mans life who has been cooped up inside either a house or a car or an office and just going stir crazy.
I went out to the garage and the "Happy Girl" was a little cranky at first when I tried to wake her from her seven week snooze but she finally got it goin' on and we started out to meet my brother over at his house.

We (Virago Chris and I ) were on our way to the local service station to check tire pressure etc prior to riding. I noticed on deceleration that the front end started to wobble a bit and only did it on deceleration and not acceleration and went away quickly once the tires warmed up (less than a mile). I believe that this was attributed to a low tire pressue in the front wheel and a flat spot (in the bias ply front tire) that developed from the bike sitting in an unheated garage for the last 7 weeks. None the less it cleared up and never came back.

Met Nomad Bill at his place and we were off and running. It was great, cool, crisp and beautiful to be out and about with the wind blowing in my face again. Some of the trees up here still have the glorious fall colors on them and the smell of the leaves was really strong and nice. Took a short trip up through the country on some twisties and really had a ball. Wound up riding about 50 miles and it was just nice.

The highlight of the day is when Nomad Bill pulled of to the side and swaped bikes with son Virago Chris. If you remember the story about how I aquired the "Happy Girl" my brother Bill (now Nomad Bill) replaced the Wing with a KAW Nomad 1500. It's a little lower and lighter than the Wing and it fits him a lot better. Chris is 21 and rides the old Virago a lot. He got on the Nomad and just grinned from ear to ear the whole time he was riding it. It is Chris' hope that he can find an affordable Wing out there by spring. I hope he does because it would be nice to take a long trip together on a couple of vintage Wings.

Paid the price today for the ride yesterday and it was worth every ache in my back and legs. It certainly helps when ones' oldest girl is a Doctor of Chiropractic and loves her daddy dearly.

Happy to be here (happy to be anywhere)
pgh-chuck
#1 11-20-2007, 06:19 PM,
Glad to hear that you're out having fun. Take good care of yourself out there and you really are lucky to have a daughter like that. Big Grin
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 11-20-2007, 09:03 PM,
Pgh-chuck eh?????

Hello from Johnstown Pa.

Go Steelers Big Grin
#3 11-22-2007, 09:58 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2 days of living without water but now I can finally ride. admin 4 1,097 06-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Last Post: KnoxSwift