Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mirrors Won't Adjust
Hello All,

The shipping company delivered my bike yesterday, so now the "lookin' and fixin' every little thing" phase starts!

Both of my mirrors arrived slanted back toward the rider about as far as they will go. I have put a "reasonable" amount of pressure on them by hand to try to get them to move back into the proper position to see astern, but they won't budge!

(I have since removed them to replace the bracket on the back of my windshield garnish.)

Am I missing something about how these mirrors adjust? Isn't it just a friction fit in a socket or something like that? Or, is there an adjustment nut somewhere to loosen up the fit so I can move them?

Please advise. I don't want to break them!

Thanks in advance.

Bob
'87 GL1200A - Black/Grey
'06 GL1800 - Arctic White
'81 CB750C - Blue/Blue
U.S. Navy SWO (1967 to 1976)
#1 12-13-2007, 10:50 AM,
They do take quite an amount of pressure to move them otherwise the wind would push them back as you were driving.
If these are genuine Honda mirrors they will move, if they are after market, I have know idea if they have a screw in them or not.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 12-13-2007, 11:31 AM,
a lot of these bikes have emgo replacement mirrors... they are (IMHO) a peice of junk... they fail within a year or so and won't hold their position, so often the PO has put in a screw to hold them.... it is worth the extra $$'s to buy OEM mirros
78 GL1000 (original owner), 86 1200 with motorvation sidecar (wife's), 05 Road King, and 75 frame and lots of parts
state map: "Lots"-all states if you indlude all my bikes
#3 12-14-2007, 07:31 AM,
I'm pretty sure these are OEM mirrors.

Also, I have seen the mirrors in their correct positions in pictures that I got of the bike before I bought it. Now the mirrors are folded way back and in.

I guess I just have to pull on them harder than I have been to get them back where they belong.

Thanks all.
'87 GL1200A - Black/Grey
'81 CB750C - Blue/Blue
#4 12-14-2007, 08:48 AM,
Hi Wingman,

It's been a while since you posted this, but this may be info you didn't get before. Hope you're still watching this thread or maybe you found this on your own.

If your mirrors are like my 86 SEI, you can adjust the tension for mirror adjustment as follows:

Move the rubber boot aside and remove the mirrors completely by removing two allen screws. Then from the INSIDE the mirror mount, you can adjust the tension on the ball. This is the ball socket around which the mirrors swivel for adjustment.

In my opinion this is one thing on the wings that's poorly designed, because the mirrors have to be removed to adjust their tension. Of course it's hard to tell what is "enough tension" when they're not mounted. They gotta be tight enough to stay put, but ideally they're loose enough to be adjustable (at least once.)

If you find it too difficult to find that "sweet spot" that allows adjustment but still stays put, and if you know you'll be the only rider, here's a workaround solution: First set hand-tight tension on the ball. Then sit on the bike and have a friend hold them in place without the screws, and adjust them to the proper position. Then, carefully without budging them, take them off and tighten the screw that pushes against the ball... Then, put it all back together, check that it's right, and hope you never have to adjust them again.
#5 12-28-2007, 05:00 AM,
Hey R-T-D,

I still have my mirrors sitting on the floor in the dinning room!

So, I will look for the adjustment that you mentioned and see if I can loosen it up a bit.

Thanks very much for the info!
'87 GL1200A - Black/Grey
'81 CB750C - Blue/Blue
#6 12-30-2007, 09:28 AM,
Don't know if this will help.
When I bought my LTD I couldn't adjust the mirrors.
Turns out I was trying to push the glass itself around in the frame like some cars, and my van.
You have to adjust the whole assembly that the glass is in.
It does take some pressure.
#7 12-30-2007, 09:55 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ever had the mirrors off an 85 GL1200? How do they come off? admin 12 4,004 07-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Last Post: wildhorse
  Need new mirrors BigDaddy12t 12 2,921 08-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Last Post: dkrider