Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS
I thought i would ask the people that really know!!!!!
We're thinking about getting a gps system for our "85" 1200.
I have been trying to educate myself on all the stuff thats our there. We dont need all the fancy radio stuff, our works fine or blue tooth. (I keep my cell in the trunk)
Waterproof is great, but not absolute.
We are just looking for something that lets us now how to get there, what my might be out there to see and where to get gas.

I read about the TOM TOM it has some kind of helmet speaker system?
We already have an audio sytem through our bike. So would this be a second helmet speaker?
This is alot of ? But any input would be appreciated. These gadgets are not cheap. :mrgreen:
85 Aspencade
86 Shadow
85 Rebel
95 XR250
91 XR200
07 420 RANCHER
#1 04-05-2009, 12:18 PM,
I got a Tom Tom 1 I think it was 149 bucks. Got a Ram Handlebar Mount 35 bucks and I got a gps sunshade/cover 17bucks. I can here the gps give directions without it being connected to the helmet. Works for me.
Traning will keep you alive.
Ride Safe,
Scott
1986 Aspencade SE-I

My Baby http://s644.photobucket.com/albums/uu164/motor22pc/
#2 04-05-2009, 12:38 PM,
Things change very fast in the tech world, so I haven't been keeping up on the advances.
I have a Garmin Nuvi 350, it isn't waterproof but baggies solve that problem. I had an earlier garmin and it would accept routing from the computer, I assumed the later ones would too, unfortunately it was a mistake to assume.
Mine has an MP3 player so I use an FM modulator to port the voice directions and the music through my radio, it works quite well, heck if you want quality sound stay home and listen to the stereo system Smile
You can do similar routing by placing way points the computer map and transferring the way points the Garmin, so it will tell me which way to turn when we reach a way point
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 04-05-2009, 12:53 PM,
I have a TomTom Rider on my 87 Aspy and it works quite well but requires a speaker in your helmet and works by bluetoothe but doesn't have a speaker so directions have to come thru the speaker hooked to a blutooth unit. Problem is its only compatible with the Rider. main problem with the rider is the screen size and my old eyes. cant read the time etc but the distance to next turn is a large readout so that works for me/ Also have a TomTom 720 which i occasionally use with the Ram Mount which will accept either unit. it has an FM modulator onboard and will send the directions thrui my radio and has a large and readable 4.3" screen. Unit sounded good at the time cause i thought that i could listen to my MP3 and/or my stock radio but if you only want it to send to your radio and your not using the builtin MP3 player on the TomTom it has a continuous signal output which makes the stock radio unusable for any accept getting GPS directions. but unit also is compatible with a bluetooth phone though. Th 720 is not waterproof like the Rider is but each one has disadvantages and advantages. I normally use the rider without earphone around town for local directions and with headset speaker on trips. The 720 for when i want readable display in dry weather i'm sure there is something out there that will fit your bill
PM me with a phone # if u got more questions all comes down to what features u need. the 720 was half the cost of the Rider but they now have a 130S out there which is even cheaper at about 169 that has alot of features and is a 4.3" screen format
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 04-05-2009, 05:59 PM,
The TomTom One XL and XL-S can be had refurbished on Amazon (Includes the first map update for free) for $99. My dad and I just got ours and, so far, are as good as new but with a shorter warranty.

As mentioned, a ziplog bag works well for keeping out the water. The only audio is probably the bluetooth connection. There is no other audio out.

I know little else about the others.
#5 04-06-2009, 07:44 PM,
The above GPS's are about the same size as the Rider.(3.5 ") if i'm corrcet but with the bluetoothe option u will have a problem using it with a helmet properly since a regular bluetooth unit is over the ear

so if u can find a unit to wear comfortably with a helmet let me know because it will work with my TomTom 720
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#6 04-06-2009, 08:00 PM,
Thanks for the input, I also use the zip lock on our mp3 player when we use it.
I'll take a look at amazon to see what they have.
Thanks again
85 Aspencade
86 Shadow
85 Rebel
95 XR250
91 XR200
07 420 RANCHER
#7 04-06-2009, 11:10 PM,
even though i have a TomTom rider its because of its functimnality on the bike and the fact i only paid $130 for it thru ebay for a refurbed one,but had to buy the power cable. mount,bluetooth unit spearately so all and all i probably have is $200 in it if it was new there is no way i'd have it
have never seen refrub units since and since it doesn't mount to a car very easily,requires a pwer cable to kep it charged etc it stays on the bike and i dont worry about someone ripping it off since unless they alreadt have one they will be unhappy when it shuts down after 20 minutes :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#8 04-07-2009, 08:27 PM,
I have a Tom-Tom; I can hear it loud and clear without a helmet speaker. It works well for me and the price was right.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#9 04-08-2009, 07:32 AM,