Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I futz with my shocks?
I got my '86 1200A last fall (bought it with 12,800 miles on it), rode it home about 80 miles, took my SO for another 35 mile ride, the cold and snow came, and it has been in my shop since then. I didn't really have time to play around with the suspension, and the air ride is new to me. I didn't notice any issues with the suspension, but since it is new, I don't have anything to compare it to, other than my '76 wing.

Since it has been in my shop I started with the battery and worked right to left until I got to the back end. I noticed on the left shock that the upper rubber is out of shape, and allows the shock to move up and down. Is this enough of an issue to investigate the shocks further? I didn't notice in the short time I rode it that it was losing air pressure, and I don't see any signs of leaking.

Should I just pump them up and see if they hold air? Do I need to test them somehow? Do I need to be sure of the oil content?

I don't mind doing necessary work, but I also want to have it right. Especially after taking all of that baggage off the ass end. It's got light bars and all that stuff on there. What a pain. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.
bootlegger

'76 sulphur yellow
'76 LTD in a basket
'86 Aspencade
'78 CX500 (pre-wing for my son)
#1 02-08-2008, 09:58 PM,
loosing air.... boot sort of putz.... okay ( :oops: ) I know of a descient pictorial on how to replace a rear shock seal....
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?t=2321">http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?t=2321</a><!-- m -->
78 GL1000 (original owner), 86 1200 with motorvation sidecar (wife's), 05 Road King, and 75 frame and lots of parts
state map: "Lots"-all states if you indlude all my bikes
#2 02-08-2008, 10:12 PM,