Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Wiring diagram of the audio system?
I have an MP3 device with an audio output. I want to hear it of course, and for complicated reasons I don't want the output from the device to go to the microphone wires, which is what I think most people do. (Warning: If you ask me why I don't want to do that, I might have to write a dissertation to explain.)

So, I would like to find a wiring diagram of the whole audio system, including both headsets, both microphones, and the amplifier. (I don't need the wiring diagram for the internals of the stock stereo, but its pinouts may be helpful.)

Can anyone direct me to such a diagram? I think I could figure out the approach to my problem if I had that in-hand.
Paul
'86 SEi
#1 03-07-2008, 11:21 PM,
is this what you are looking for?
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://webpages.charter.net/catmek/GL1200%20LTD%20Radio%20Aux/LTD%20Radio%20Aux%20Pics%20%28RM1200%29%20%20with%20mute/">http://webpages.charter.net/catmek/GL12 ... th%20mute/</a><!-- m -->
#2 03-08-2008, 12:00 AM,
Maybe not, but those pages are interesting anyway, because they appear to be pictures from an audio-related project for a GL1200. I'd love to know what that project is, can you tell me what it is for?

Among those JPG's however, I don't see one any that are a wiring diagram as I'm looking for. (Unless I missed it -- Please let me know if so.)
Paul
'86 SEi
#3 03-08-2008, 12:34 AM,
It is for installing a jack to hook up a MP3, sat radio, or what have you.
#4 03-08-2008, 08:26 AM,
Yes, actually it's a GPS with built-in MP3 player and bluetooth for cellphones.

Here's the caveat: Since it has bluetooth, I would like to be able to answer the phone on the bike while the phone is in my pocket. Although the device has a built-in mic, it's not intended for motorcycles and "shouting at the handlebars" is fruitless. Therefore, I want to use the device's microphone input jack, and wire it to the headset microphones. I can't wire BOTH audio output and microphone input to the bike's microphone wires, because this would create a feedback loop when using the telephone... (It's audio output would be pumped right back into its microphone input.)

Ideally, I would like all audio from the device (spoken directions, MP3 music, and telephone audio) to go through either speakers or the headsets as set via the stock stereo. i.e. taking the audio output from the device and wiring it to the "audio input" of the stock stereo... which doesn't exist but maybe such a thing can be created.

If this isn't possible, I would accept simply wiring it to output to speakers only (not the headset.)

Although the device has an FM transmitter, it sucks. It only works if it's closer to the antenna than the handlebars, and it's hard to drive from the passenger seat. ;-)

FYI to everyone, I have learned that all currently available Garmin units with FM transmitters have very weak FM transmitters. They won't work well at all from anywhere near the front of the bike. Just know that before you buy one.

EUREKA!
Thanks for reading all of the above, but after I typed it I think I figured out a good solution. I will convert my cassette deck (which is broken anyway) to create an audio input for the stereo. You can buy "cassettes" with wires on them which can be used as audio input jacks for stereos which don't have such jacks. I will probably run the wires internally and add a switch to the front, wired to the sensor switch which observes the presence of a "cassette", thus turning on the new audio input.

While I'm at it, I'll probably wire all four station preset buttons to the door of the cassette deck, which can be permanently shut. (I'm sure we all agree bigger buttons for station presets would be nice.)

With all of that said, I would still like to find a wiring diagram as I described. Anyone got a link or download?
Paul
'86 SEi
#5 03-08-2008, 09:59 AM,
Found it! See the last few pages of this PDF. This file also has a lot of related diagrams about where to find the various wires on the bike. Although this is what I was originally looking for, the majority of my project will be inside the stock radio, as described above.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://goldwing.soylentgeek.com/Honda%20GL1200%2083%20Audio%20Installation%20Manual.pdf">http://goldwing.soylentgeek.com/Honda%2 ... Manual.pdf</a><!-- m -->
Paul
'86 SEi
#6 03-08-2008, 10:42 AM,
Douce, you were right, that page is applicable to what I'm doing. Thank you. Sorry I didn't understand before... I didn't see the text files. (Kinda weird that he didn't just make a single web page with all the instructions.)
Paul
'86 SEi
#7 03-08-2008, 11:23 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  wiring diagram 19 7,401 10-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Guest