Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do not read this unless you're as dumb as me
If you're like me, your cassette deck doesn't work, right? Hold on there cowboy, are you SURE?

I always thought that:
- Like most cars, when you insert a tape it's supposed to play until you eject it.
- Like most cars, when you push the volume knob, it turns off the stereo. (I even "confirmed" this by trying it. Sure enough, it stops making music and the display goes blank.)

This all makes sense, but it's WRONG! Today I discovered that pushing the volume knob switches the stereo to "cassette mode". Turning OFF the stereo is done by turning the volume all the way down until it clicks.

Low and behold, my cassette deck works!!!

Now that I see how it works, I realize why they did this: It allows you to leave the cassette fully inserted even when it's not playing. Unlike your car, you can't have a cassette sticking half-way out while you listen to the radio, because that wouldn't be weatherproof. Back in the 80's most people left their favorite cassette in the deck all the time.

If you're as dumb as me, check it out and maybe you'll be surprised to find your deck works. Or, if you're smarter than me, maybe you've had a good laugh at my expense. ;-)
Paul
'86 SEi
#1 03-09-2008, 01:50 AM,
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of this either. :?
Paul - 85 Interstate & 98 Shadow ACE Tourer
past rides - 85 VT1100
85 VT700
83 V45 (2 bikes)
82 GL500i
80 XS650
#2 03-09-2008, 06:09 AM,
Even if you had the owners manual (I do), the instructions for using the stereo are clear as mud. If I hadn't already owned a wing previously, I would have had a tough time figuring out all those darn buttons. How can we sift through pages of wiring diagrams, and still not be able to set the clock? If it makes you feel any better, I couldn't get my power strip to work until I plugged it into the wall :?
#3 03-09-2008, 11:29 AM,
Yep, I have my owner's manual. I read all about the trip computer and the leveling system. But the stereo? Nah, that's "too simple" to read about. ;-)

Truth be told, I think I repaired my cassette deck. (I removed a cracked nylon bearing inside the motor which was jamming the works.) But then when I tested my repair under the assumption it's supposed to play when you insert a tape, and nothing happened, I still thought it was broken. It wasn't until I looked inside for a microswitch which "detects the presence of a cassette to kill the radio receiver" (which doesn't exist) that I realized it must have another way to tell the system to start playing the tape.

Another truth: It's not completely fixed, because it reverses tape direction every few seconds. I have a feeling if I replaced the old stretched drive belt, the auto-reverse wouldn't be so sensitive.

But it will work fine using a cassette adapter for an audio input for my other devices... That's what I really wanted anyway. Sometimes it's a nice to discover you've been stupid. ;-)
Paul
'86 SEi
#4 03-09-2008, 03:26 PM,
Hey, Thanks a bunch for being dumb, Mine works too!!
Too bad I wasn`t dumb enough to figure it out. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Overdrive26
Wayne Allen
If you treat your 1200 right, and trust her, she can and will save your butt from a lot of bad scenes. Just believe in her! Mine has several times.
#5 03-10-2008, 01:32 AM,
Glad to hear it sounds like at least two others found their cassette deck works from this post. :-)
Paul
'86 SEi
#6 03-10-2008, 08:00 AM,
I'm dumber than you. I recently noticed why I couldn't hear either my radio or my casette deck - I had the mute button depressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x :x :x
#7 04-15-2008, 07:16 AM,
i tried my cassette player yesterday and got the same results as you the first time, while i do have a mp3 player and charger /fm modulator cord i just wanted to know if the tape player worked. i will try it again when i get home. thanks. happy to report that it works thanks rustythedog
'75cb750 ,'79cb750superK,
'93gl1500se, '79cb 750f,
'85cb450sc, '05sunL70
'06 ST 1300....william
#8 05-07-2008, 08:29 AM,