Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
brake noise?
last week i replaced the rear tire on my 1987 1200 and noticed the brake pads were low so decided to replace them since i had the rear end torn apart. I bought the brake pads from the local honda dealer, came home and installed them, put the rear end back together and went for a ride and could here the pads rubbing the rotor. if i put the bike on the center stand and spin the tire you can hear it a little and there is a little drag when spining it. My question is if i ride it will the pads wear and stop rubing, or is there something else i should do?

Thanks,
Jeff
#1 06-23-2008, 12:24 PM,
I just went and spun mine and I could hear the pads dragging slightly. With modest effort it spun about 1/2-3/4 turn. If the wheel doesn't spin simular to that the caliper might need a rebuild.
1985 Limited Edition
#2 06-23-2008, 02:50 PM,
I took the caliper off, took the pads out, pulled the pistons and cleaned everthing, then reassembled the caliper and installed it on the bike. The pad that is hiting the rotor is the stationary one. I called the honda dealership and talked to the mechanic and he said that is normal with new pads and told me not to worry about it unless the rotor is getting real hot.
#3 06-23-2008, 09:34 PM,
Coat the caliper slider bolts lightly with never seize. When you grip the caliper you should be able to discern slight movement in the caliper. The noise is normal unless like the mech said (the rotor getting hot) then this would indicate a sticking caliper (no lube on the bolts)
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#4 06-24-2008, 06:10 AM,