Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Fork problems
I am having a problem with my forks.

I have polished them to a mirrior finish, I stood them up in a corner and while talking to a friend I put my hand down on top of one of the uppers, I pushed them down several times and noticed that they are just like springs, no hydraulic action at all.

I know nothing of fork construction, what do I need to do to make them work right?

Thank you
Jim
#1 02-18-2007, 01:06 PM,
If you havnt taken them apart and they were OK when you took them off when you re-install them just add air I would assume.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 02-18-2007, 02:37 PM,
these are not pneumatic, I guess they have been this way all the time I have owned the bike.
I did notice when riding they would top out very easy, bang at full extension.
I will look into fork oil and see if thats the problem
#3 02-18-2007, 06:40 PM,
What year wing is it?

#4 02-18-2007, 07:30 PM,
#5 02-18-2007, 10:32 PM,
I know some people have older wings but this forum is devoted to GL1200 so maybe you might get more info at Steve Saunders web site, that one covers all the years.
Maybe put your bike year in your profile or at least mention it in the post.

#6 02-19-2007, 06:32 AM,
Thank you for the info, but the steve saunders site is just not for me.
seems that they attract the people that think they are better than every one else.
I used to check their site every day, but after interacting with a few of their members, I found the site was not for me..
#7 02-19-2007, 12:54 PM,
Lets see, if your '75 is naked then go to http://www.nakedgoldwings.com. Some of the same people on steve's site, but a different croud.

I get the idea, I tend to stick to websites that cover a limited number of bikes, such as the Honda Custom forms, this one. If there was one for the GS1100 a couple of years ago I would have hung out there. These smaller forums are nice that there are fewer people and a large portion of the info applies to my bike of interest. Of corse I've met some real wing nuts on the sites from time to time.
#8 02-19-2007, 05:26 PM,
Jim, have you disassembled the shocks and clean and inspected them?

There is valving that controls oil flow internally and if those valves are dirty and stuck they would restrict oil flow and make the shock act like a spring.

Get your manual out and carefully go through the internals of the shocks and make sure everything is working as it should.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#9 02-20-2007, 09:52 AM,
Thank you Vic,
I will do that, all I have done with them so far is to remove them from the tree and polish the lowers.
I dont have the manual here at the house so I did not know what to do to trouble shoot the problem..

Jim
#10 02-20-2007, 12:16 PM,
still dont have my manual here.
I drained one leg tonight, it had 1 tablespoon of oil in it, i guess that may be the problem?
#11 02-20-2007, 08:34 PM,
They need just a little more than that Jim.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#12 02-20-2007, 08:40 PM,
rvtechA1 Wrote:Thank you for the info, but the steve saunders site is just not for me.
seems that they attract the people that think they are better than every one else.
I used to check their site every day, but after interacting with a few of their members, I found the site was not for me..

Wow- I never got that impression at all. A lot of joking goes on but, as new user have never felt intimidated, insulted or abused. Might give 'em another try?
'84 GL1200 I & '04 VTX 1800 C
#13 02-21-2007, 08:33 PM,
The way I worded that message was in bad taste, the one about the SS site.

I should have done a better job explaning my feelings about that subject, and I appoligize If I stepped on any toes.

But I do truely know that the SS site and I are not compatible, but thats just me and my feelings on the subject.

I fit in better here and on the NGW site..

Jim
#14 02-21-2007, 09:14 PM,
Hey Jim:

Did you get your fork problem worked out. I checked an older manual and it referred to ATF fluid - 7 ounces in each fork. The amount of fluid you said in one of your forks would definitely cause problems.

I noticed at a dealer a couple years ago there were several viscosities of fluid for various types of ride. Personally, I have had great luck with ATF (automatic transmission fluid).

Sounds like your forks over time just ran out of fluid.

Jim
Jim
85 GL1200A
#15 03-18-2007, 10:46 PM,