Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plactic broken behind the Left mirror
I have a 85 LTD Trike and the fairing plastic where the mirror attach is crack. It is behind the rubber on the left mirror. I have tried RTV silicon on it and it still getting vibration.
The crack is around the holds where the mirror screws go thru. Any help will be appreciated.
Jerry Driggers
1985 LTD Trike
Member American Legion Post 181--American Legion Post 181
Member American Legion Riders Post 181-- American Legion Riders Post 181
Member PGR--Patriot Guard Riders
Member GWRRA Chapter GA-K--GWRRA Chapter K
#1 07-23-2008, 08:47 AM,
I just "fixed" mine recently with JBweld. Be careful that when you tighten it back down you go nice and easy. I get a little bit of vibration on mine, but nothing like I had before.
-Jake 85 Aspy - big guys need big bikes
** I ask tricky stupid questions**
#2 07-23-2008, 10:37 AM,
I have a similar problem, except mine is way beyond a crack. The mirror was broken off, making a hole a little larger than the metal bracket that sits behind the ABS. It was like this when I got the bike several months ago. I have tried Oatey ABS glue along with a makeshift support piece made of metal. It still shakes a fair amount. I am going to give the JB Weld a try in the next couple days to see if that will make it better. Otherwise I am going to look at replacing the fairing. The vibration is pretty bad, plus I can't adjust the mirror without getting off the bike and being very careful. I had someone look at it to do plastic welding on it, but it actually looks like this was done in the past and it just came loose over time. Bottom line is that this is a bad place for a hole, so do your best to keep it just a crack!
Charlie
1992 GL1500 SE
[Image: Visited.jpg]
#3 07-23-2008, 11:34 AM,
I did have success with JB Weld on repairing my mirror mount. It's now solid and able to support the mirror without wiggling. I had to wait about 75 minutes for the mixed epoxy to get to a consistency that would stay in place. The resulting patch doesn't look beautiful, but it is covered up by the rubber bottom on the mirror. It's definitely a great 'tool' for fixing a spot that is hidden.
Charlie
1992 GL1500 SE
[Image: Visited.jpg]
#4 07-29-2008, 04:14 PM,
Ditto on the JB Weld. I did my right side mirror mount with it and it works great! You do have to wait and give it time to cure up a little so it doesn't run down into the fairing. I think about 45 mins - 1 hr was about right.

Cheerrs, :mrgreen:
FTO
Forever The Optimist
1986 Blue/Blue Aspencade
Little Elm, Tx
"Go Lobo's"
#5 08-01-2008, 03:50 AM,
I tried the Oatey ABS glue and it work ok but still have a little vibration on the mirror.
Thanks for all of the posts and help. Big Grin
Jerry Driggers
1985 LTD Trike
Member American Legion Post 181--American Legion Post 181
Member American Legion Riders Post 181-- American Legion Riders Post 181
Member PGR--Patriot Guard Riders
Member GWRRA Chapter GA-K--GWRRA Chapter K
#6 09-06-2008, 03:22 PM,
well mine was broken at the holes and I got a 10 gage piece of sheet metal about 1&1/2 inch wide and about 3 inches long drilled holes for the bolts to pass thru,using the mirrors with the bolts in place for a templet, then used sand paper to clean plastic on farring and used fiber cloth and ABS glue to hold metal in place and covered the cracks with cloth and glue as well. It took about three hours of time to repair it but no shake at all.
just be sure to use a lot of abs glue and work fast with the glue and cloth if you do it. I used like 3 layers of cloth to get a good patch turned diffrent directions to make it strong. once it dried overnight I just sprayed it with a can of black paint, the color of my wing, and you can not tell its repaired at all.
#7 09-08-2008, 06:51 PM,
Mine was that way when I bought ot. The previos owner lied to me. I found that the hole for the original screw had the nut gone. I saw two different holes in the same area of the mirror head so I marked and drilled a different hole then used a lag and it tightened right up. 8)
#8 04-30-2009, 04:27 PM,
I have used JB Weld a number of times to repair plastic on bikes and it has worked very well. If it was a large repair I also use fiber cloth soaked in JB Weld, it is very good glue. One time my son showed up with his 4WD truck, he had been out on some back roads and hit a big mud hole too fast and broke one of the blades off his fan causing a vibration in his motor. I cut a blade out of an old side molding and used JB Weld to glue it on his fan, just to get him home. He drove for a year before he got the fan replaced. The Dealer that put the new fan on couldn't believe what we had done and still have the glued fan on the wall of their shop.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#9 05-01-2009, 04:25 AM,
I posted this link some time ago I guess it can go here again, very interesting article on how to repair ABS plastic..

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Plastics_repair_with_ABS_cement">http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Plastics_r ... ABS_cement</a><!-- m -->
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#10 05-01-2009, 04:49 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anybody have a broken left saddlebad lid to get rid of? ccdouble 7 1,903 03-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Last Post: ccdouble