Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Air equalizer & fork springs
Angela, I haven't had the front shocks apart on an LTD but I'm going to say theoretically that since the lower spring is shorter that the upper spring has got to be longer to match the overall length of the spring since the ride height of an Aspencade is the same as the LTD and both front suspension systems look identical from outward appearances. My guess would be that the difference in the two lengths would be to allow for the heavier weight of the LTD and they made up the spring rate difference for the LTD by using a longer and stiffer short spring on top.

You could theoretically lower the front of your 1200 by raising the fork tubes one inch by removing the wire locks below the upper triple clamp and sliding both fork tubes up equal amounts, BUT, you would need to plug the tiny air holes in each one of the tubes. You could temporarily plug the holes with a piece of neoprene or cured silicone then use a screw clamp over each one of the plugs, BUT, a better, more permanent solution would be to drill and tap the hole for a pipe thread plug with sealant. Leaving the air hole open would cause a torrent of oil to be sprayed back at you. You must also consider the clearance between the top of the fork tubes and the fairing area below the radio. You may need to create some space there otherwise there might be a collision.

Another option is to locate lower profile tires that will carry the weight of you and your Wing, but, if it were my bike I would try shortening the spring length to lower the bike but since you lose travel with the shorter spring make sure the you have the anti dive on the highest setting otherwise you could bottom out the front shocks in a panic stop situation. I would also run 20 or 25 or even 30 weight shock oil if you went this route.

To lower the rear you would have a welding/fabrication shop change the angle of the shock to achive the desired ride height then weld the shock pivot back into place at the new location. I've seen it done and it works fine. The bonus is that you can stay with stock shocks and save a ton of money. Like the front shocks, change the shock oil to a heavier oil to make up for the difference in leverage factor otherwise you get poor ride control.

You will also need to shorten the center and side stands after the lowering.

If you do it right you should end up with a lowrider Wing that will still ride great but you will need to avoid speed bumps in parking lots or pump up the air shocks before you enter the malls. The air suspension will still work if you plumb some air fittings into the front forks and run the air lines.

Could be a fun project and not really much hard work.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#1 02-27-2007, 01:05 PM,
Angela, you need to remember that the Clymer's manual has several errors in it and this could be one of them. It doesn't make sense that the LTD springs would be shorter unless there is something inside the shocks that I am not aware of. Hopefully an LTD owner will speak up and solve the riddle positively.

For the GL1500 fork tube question I would post a message over at Steve Saunders Goldwing site and get some solid answers there. The guys there are clamoring to help out with those kinds of quetions.

A piece of rubber held in place with hose clamps is only a temporary solution for trial use only, if you read further in my post you'll see that I wrote to do it properly you should drill and tap the holes and use pipe thread plugs to close off the holes.

All I can suggest is to wait until you have some accurate and verified info before you launch your plan. There's enough folks out there with LTD's to answer about the spring length and to answer about the GL 1500 fork tubes to steer you in the right direction with confidence.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 02-28-2007, 01:34 PM,
I remember one of the guys on the Saunders site was going to make you up a couple of brackets to relocate your rear shocks Fysty, didn't he come up with them yet?
Current: GL1100 GL1500 Previous: GL1200SEI
#3 02-28-2007, 09:12 PM,
Hi Angela. Without being an expert in the frontend department, I can tell U that; Yes, the lower springs in the 1500 AND the 1200 Ltd are the same length. Rides a -86 SE-i and it carries the same springs. It wont do any differense in riding hight though. The best thing U can do, are riding org.length, and find the lowering other places.
Cheers from Norway
-86 GL 1200 SE-I "SOLD" but not forgotten

-02 GL 1800 w. Speeding sidecar and Peak trailer
#4 03-02-2007, 08:42 AM,
LOL Understand what u mean... Am in fact Danish, myself, but been in Norway for a good 20 years now, and before that I lived in Manitoba for 2 years. (Just outside Winnipeg). Guess u can say I`m 1. generation norwegian, eh ?

#5 03-02-2007, 11:42 AM,
I`m sure you can, if you really wants to. Save whatever you can and within a 100 years, you`ll be there... lol Or do it the easy way: Sell all your stuff, and go for it...I did that to go to Canada back in 82, and here I am. Married, got a house, 2 kids, a car and 4 bikes. And boy, did I work hard to get it... But it was all worth it.
My advise: Go for it, if you really it. And if ever in Scandinavia, come visit us in Norway. And by the way, do you have any contact with family in Sweden ?

#6 03-02-2007, 01:41 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I know if my fork springs are Progressives or stock Flounder 3 2,577 11-06-2013, 06:51 AM
Last Post: nilesoffice
  Help with identifying fork springs. stock or progressive? Flounder 2 1,658 05-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Last Post: neoracer
  1200 ltd front fork springs bumblebee 5 2,165 12-30-2011, 07:06 AM
Last Post: bumblebee
  Progressive Fork Springs & Fork Oil scty_p 5 2,825 05-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Roleketu
  Fork seals / progressive springs - clarification Unclebeer 4 2,368 05-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Roleketu
  progressive fork springs cj7george 5 2,164 08-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  Confused on fork removal for new springs & leaking seal joed8562 21 6,308 05-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  Fork Springs 3 1,320 04-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Guest
  How To On Fork Springs wiseguydave 2 1,443 07-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Last Post: myplace 46
  Fork oil and Progressive front fork springs Gary078 2 1,663 07-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Last Post: silverfoxwing