Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
replacement speakers
I'm looking to replace the fairihg speakers in my 86. Does anybody have a recommendation for a reasonably priced good sounding pair. I've got a sony 25 watt per side cassette player thats a little outdated so I don't want to spend a lot on speakers. I also realize the limitations of a 4" speaker. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
#1 09-14-2008, 02:20 PM,
I have 20 watt 2 way kenwoods that dont sound too bad for a 4" speaker. got them at a local car stereo place........
#2 09-14-2008, 02:25 PM,
JBL and pioneer have really good speakers that fit good and sound excellent.
#3 09-21-2008, 02:31 PM,
I am seriously considering a pair of Polk Audio db401s. I read a review where a guy said he installed them in his GL1200A and had to bend the tweeters down a little to get them flush, but he said they sounded great. The db401s are high-quality marine certified (waterproof) 4", two-way, 4-ohm speakers. They are the highest-quality 4" speaker I can identify for the GL1200 that looks likely to fit, plus they are weather resistant.

Here is the review:
"Great speakers, polk audio does it again. I bought these to replace mine on my 1986 gl1200a goldwing. The tweeter sticks out a little over a centimeter past the speaker, so some modification was needed to them. These sound awesome, but are lacking bass. But 4 inch speakers don"t really produce much bass anyway. These are probably the best 4 inch speakers you can get for the money."

...and another review from a Silverwing rider...
"got these speakers as replacements for my honda silverwing scooter combined with a 25 watt amp and my ipod, these speaker deliver clear and vivid sound that always turns heads when i'm rolling thru town, also just was left outside in a serious thunderstorm...had to leave at work in the elements due to lightning.....so upon taking my scooter home the following morning the speakers were then dry and sound totally perfect....would recommend to any boat or motorcycle rider who need quality waterproof speakers."
#4 02-16-2009, 02:02 AM,
Check out some of these...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewcat.php?id=33&affiliate=googadw&show_thumbnails=1&show_description=1&gclid=CKLAz7CQ4ZgCFQHHGgodIGfYdQ">http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewcat. ... GgodIGfYdQ</a><!-- m -->

I have found just about any non-paper cone speaker to hold up just fine in the bike application... The current set I have are coax type and not listed as "outdoor" use type, but they have held up for the last 3 years.. They still look new and sound new... I have soaked them many times while washing the bike even with them playing at the time...
Ed Zogg
#5 02-16-2009, 06:25 AM,
I picked up a pair of 4 inch Pioneer speakers at an auto store. They were reasonably priced and they sounfd good. No problems so far, this will be my third season with them.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#6 02-16-2009, 09:58 PM,
Another set of speakers that look like they would fit is the Blaupunkt PCxb402. I would rate these as not as good as the Polk Audio Db401s, but still worth considering.
#7 04-04-2009, 03:43 PM,
Got a set of four inch Ice Audio at Wallyworld for twenty skins. Sounds great. 8)
#8 05-12-2009, 05:18 PM,
I just want to echo what vtx has to say, I put a pair of Wallyworld 4inchers on mine and they sound great, less than 20 bucks.. fit right in... no modifications neccessary, opps except the connectors, had to tighten them up with a pair of needle nose pliers... good luck, ride safe

capn
#9 06-07-2009, 05:56 AM,
I just intalled a set of Kenwood KFC-1052S into the back of my SEi and they fit like a charm. The sound is better, but not by leaps and bounds, but they are rated at 110Watts (not 8 like the origianls) and they cost me less that $30 at Sonic Electronix.

Good Luck All!

Jack
'86 Apencade SEi
#10 07-30-2010, 11:54 PM,
My interstate didn't come with rear speakers, and I've considered finding a set of the Aspy arm rests/speaker housings, but I rather find a different option. I've seen where some cut out the front face of the trunk to fit them in. I have a aftermarket stereo and the front speakers are stock. Were the rear speakers the same as the front?
#11 07-31-2010, 05:17 PM,
84Wing_New_York Wrote:My interstate didn't come with rear speakers, and I've considered finding a set of the Aspy arm rests/speaker housings, but I rather find a different option. I've seen where some cut out the front face of the trunk to fit them in. I have a aftermarket stereo and the front speakers are stock. Were the rear speakers the same as the front?

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=8073">viewtopic.php?f=62&t=8073</a><!-- l -->

Bob NE In did just what you are looking to do. The link above has pictures of his install. Drop him a line, he may be tons of help.
'86 Apencade SEi
#12 07-31-2010, 06:02 PM,
JackH Wrote:
84Wing_New_York Wrote:My interstate didn't come with rear speakers, and I've considered finding a set of the Aspy arm rests/speaker housings, but I rather find a different option. I've seen where some cut out the front face of the trunk to fit them in. I have a aftermarket stereo and the front speakers are stock. Were the rear speakers the same as the front?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=8073">http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopi ... =62&t=8073</a><!-- m -->

Bob NE In did just what you are looking to do. The link above has pictures of his install. Drop him a line, he may be tons of help.

Thanks Jack, I should have known that bob NE would have figured that out already. I'm going to seriously think about this option, if I find the right speakers, and maybe some waterproof covers.
Thanks
Randy
#13 08-03-2010, 06:09 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Review of Polk Audio db401 replacement speakers. 8 3,306 12-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Guest