Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Progressing the LTD
I was just wondering, I'm going to pull the front end of my LTD apart pretty soon to do steering head bearings. I was figuring while I had them out might as well change the fork oil, and posibly the springs. What are peoples thoughts on Progressive springs in the LTD/SEi?
#1 12-17-2006, 08:10 PM,
It is my understanding that the Progressives are quite choppy riding but great for handling extra loads.

I have haerd from guys that used old valve springs from cars in their front suspension and raised the ride height while maintaining a smooth ride for cruising.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 12-18-2006, 04:54 PM,
admin Wrote:I have haerd from guys that used old valve springs from cars in their front suspension and raised the ride height while maintaining a smooth ride for cruising.

I wonder how many of those springs would be needed... :lol:
#3 12-18-2006, 05:23 PM,
One in each fork leg and it would depend on which valve spring you chose to use. If you know your spring size you could go to an automotive machine and compare what they have. Quite often you can get the springs for next to nothing from their used stock.

#4 12-18-2006, 07:15 PM,
I measured my ride hiegth and found my forks were not holding up as high as it should. So the last time I took my forks apart, I added spacers to raise the front end up to normal. After half of a season of riding the fork springs sagged more. Now I'm still riding too low in the front and I still have the
1 1/4" spacers still in. I believe that if your springs are too warn that adding head springs are not the answer.

I've been thinking of going with progressives in the front but if and when I do that it will put more weight on the rear shocks. They are also OEM so I know thoses springs can't be in any better shape than the front so I figure to do the job right you have to do both front and rear at the same time. Thats a bunch of money to this poor dirty white boy (BTW thats what DWB stands for in my name).

So I've been riding with a bit of sagging going on (my wife does it so why can't my bike). I keep the rear shocks air pressure up and I run no pressure in the front so I don't blow the seals. One of these days I might be able to afford the springs and shocks but with the way my job goes that will be a long way off.

JMHO
#5 12-22-2006, 08:40 PM,
I've loaded my CB900C with progressive springs and 412 shocks. Works out pretty good for me. Stiffer then she used to be, but still takes up the bumps in the road.

I'm not to supprised to hear that the wings springs get weak after awhile, the 900 gets some bad front end sag. It seems like the wings do better in this, but not imune. I would do the front and when you can get the rear done.
#6 12-23-2006, 08:05 AM,
I have Proressives front and rear on my LTD.
It rides like a new bike and straight as an arrow. Progressives are most appreciative in the corners...and when loaded up.
A couple of observations...she will sit about 3/4 of an inch for awhile then settle lower, somewhat. This will cause her to lean over more on the sidestand, but I found that to be a bonus on windy days and slanted pavement.
As far as choppy ride goes...don't forget that you could go with 15 or even 10 wt. oil in the forks to soften the ride...and don't forget the adjustment capibility in the TRAC...to further suit your ride.
And, because she sits a little higher...a few times when I've left the side stand down (don't tell anyone)...I was able to drag the sidestand and hear it rather than have it dig in and dump me....another bonus.
Maybe it's just my imagination...but she seems to shift crisper...I think it might have to do with better alignment of the drive-train.
You'd be hard pressed to find disappointments with the Progressive set-up.
Another consideration...there was a time when Progressive sold re-build kits for the Goldwing OEM shocks...that's worth checking out as it could save a bundle and still give you the ride you want.
#7 01-20-2007, 06:06 PM,
Great report Rick and thank you. I love seeing this kind of info here.

It's very helpful information. Well done.

#8 01-20-2007, 08:24 PM,
I know what you're saying, fysty-i... I'm only 5'8" and shrinking. I had to get creative with my seat afterward, by having a local upholstery guy take it down and back a bit..
I also doubled the thickness of the soles on my cowboy boots.
Some guys have also lowered their 1200's with a bit of welding to relocate the rear shocks back a couple of inches...and then there are others who will bring the fork tubes up in the trees about a half inch or so...all seems to work favourably with making the 1200 more manageable.
By the way...love the colour blue of your bike...and, if you were ever wanting to unload that Corbin seat...just holler..
#9 01-23-2007, 06:43 PM,