Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
First run
After installing the rear Progressive shocks a noticeable difference mind you my Honda Originals had 198,000 k on them. I hardly used any air in them riding solo and was pleased with the feeling.
I also replaced my front bushings and seals, tightened the steering head somewhat.
Last year I was getting a bad case of the shimmies on acceleration, its not there now.
Whether it was the steering head adjustment, the E3 tires or new rear shocks or a case of all three I don't know but I am once again happy with the way it rides.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#1 03-27-2007, 05:17 PM,
Tricky, do you notice an increase in the harshness of the ride?

The E3's definately give a harsher ride but the benefits to handling and performance far outweigh that one negative aspect.

I have heard of that the Progressive springs give a much harsher ride ove tar strips and small bumps but they do much better over the big bumps.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 03-29-2007, 09:13 AM,
I really didn't notice a harsher ride, in fact I felt it to be much better than it was last year, maybe I am just happier to be on two wheels again Smile
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 03-29-2007, 06:37 PM,
There's a lot of factors involved in feel including the warmth of the sun's rays and how much enthusiasm you have for the ride.

#4 03-30-2007, 09:06 AM,
My bike is a 1500 but I'm sure it's the same with the 1200. I had a pretty noticeable 35mph hands off wobble. Yesterday I replaced my EIII front tire that had 14,000 miles with a new one and whatdaya know, no more wobble at all. I had the same thing happen when I first put a new set of tires on last time too. The wobble slowly came back around 9,000 miles later. I think the most common cause of the slow wobble is caused by worn front tires. The tire I took off had a good bit of tread left but had developed enough cupping that you could hear it in the curves though I couldn't feel or see it.
Current: GL1100 GL1500 Previous: GL1200SEI
#5 04-21-2007, 10:29 PM,
A new set of tires will tend to mask all sorts of evils Paul but I think the real trick is in determining what causes the wobbling in the worn tires tires and if you figure that out your tires may not wear as much.

Steering head bearings, triple tree torque, fork tube straightness, fork tube slider bushings, fork oil quantity and weight, axle tightness, axle bearing play, brake rotor runout, tire runout and air pressure in the tire all contribute to that forsaken wobble. It's just a matter of being relentless in persuing it and rectifying it.

#6 04-22-2007, 06:20 AM,
Installed progressive front springs during the winter "let's take this apart to see what makes it tick" session, also used 15W oil, no air pressure.
I also installed a new Elite II tire I found at a dealer in Cambridge Ontario.

My impression of the ride; it is firmer, does not have the nose dive during braking or decelaration, better control, more positive imput for road feel.

And yes it does seem to hit the bumps a little harder.

Would I go back; not in your life.

Howard Big Grin
Howard & Sharon Sims-GWRRA#259911
EX 1986 Aspencade
EX 2002 GL-1800

[Image: VisitedProvincesMap-copy.jpg][Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#7 04-23-2007, 04:16 PM,
I think I am gonna do the progressives next winter. Maybe try something to beef up the rear shocks too.
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
[Image: blue1200.gif]
"I ride too far, too fast, too often to own a Harley!"
#8 04-23-2007, 06:07 PM,
admin Wrote:A new set of tires will tend to mask all sorts of evils Paul but I think the real trick is in determining what causes the wobbling in the worn tires tires and if you figure that out your tires may not wear as much.

Steering head bearings, triple tree torque, fork tube straightness, fork tube slider bushings, fork oil quantity and weight, axle tightness, axle bearing play, brake rotor runout, tire runout and air pressure in the tire all contribute to that forsaken wobble. It's just a matter of being relentless in persuing it and rectifying it.

I've experienced the same wobble on both my 1200 and 1500. Replaced head bearings, torqued them to Honda specs, replaced seals and bushings in both bikes, went over everything in the forks and wheels. The only thing that made any difference was the new front tire. This is the third time and on two bikes that a new front tire solved the wobble totally. I didn't have very many miles on the SEI when I sold it so it was still wobble free but my 1500 had the wobble gradually return as the tire got to 9000 miles. At 16,000 miles it was as bad as it ever was. Replaced the front again and presto, wobble immediately disappeared. I'm convinced that the wobble is initiated by the front tire. Don't know how exactly, possibly cupping is the culprit but It's the only thing that makes a difference on my bike.
Current: GL1100 GL1500 Previous: GL1200SEI
#9 04-26-2007, 11:19 PM,