Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tune, turn and PTT switches don't work properly
Newbie here. Just bought a 1984 Aspencade. Great bike; first touring bike I owned and love it. But being 25 years old, she needs some attention.

'Tune' switch does not work properly. Doesn't seem to have any 'action' to it. When pushed in either direction, it just stays there. Some of the time the station changes, but I can't get it to stop on any one station.

Last owner told me the PTT doesn't work all the time; haven't had a chance to check that out yet.

Turn signals work OK, however it seems stiff to move that switch, and it always doesn't 'automatically' cancel. Seems to like it when it's warmer...

So, can these switches be rehabilitated? If not, where's a good outlet to find new (or gently used) ones?
#1 02-18-2009, 06:10 AM,
Spray or soak in wd40 then clean it out with contact spray, I do it with mine on a regualr basis, if I dont I get the same results. Been doing that for the past 217,000 k

You can try the same with the turn signal, but it might be something else that is preventing the cancel.

Gently used ones, thats a good one Smile whatever you get used will be 25 years old.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 02-18-2009, 06:23 AM,
First of all welcome to the 1200 Goldwing World... These are one heck of a bike and you found one of the best places (this site) to learn all you could ever wanted (maybe even more than you wanted) to know about this machines...
Ditto on the bovers (Tricky's statement)... Only thing I would add to it is to remove the PPT and the radio tune switches from the handle bars and turn them upside down... There is a small drain hole on the bootom of the case that will allow you to get the WD40 into the switch... You dont need to unplug the wires for the switches to do this but I do believe you need to still unscrew each one from the little metal bracket they mount on to get to the small drain hole... Once you have a bunch of WD40 in them, be sure to work the switches back and forth several times... Have a rag ready for the excess crud and WD that will come out... Also once you have them mounted back on the bike do wrap a rag around them and leave it for a day or so... The WD40 will weep out over the next day or so and make a real mess (found this out the hard way)...
Once you have them working again you might want to consider repeating the above except using a good contact cleaner... I found the WD40 does dry out after a year or so and the switches become sticky again...
You can use the above method for all the sticky switches (why not do them all while your into it)... The tiny micro switches on the brake and the clutch levers should also get a shot of the WD40...
Ed Zogg
#3 02-18-2009, 09:35 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Radio & CB Switches SIR tricky 2 1,609 05-20-2011, 07:00 AM
Last Post: Keener