Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
intercom/headset trouble shooting
So I searched "intercom" and got 278 hits, 19 pages, and went through all of them to see if I could find a remedy for my intercom/headset problem without rehashing the same subject. Haven't found the answer yet so I'll start a new thread.

I recently purchased an '87 Aspy that had 3 immediate issues: 1. leaking rear shocks - replaced them with Progressives, 2. Cruise didn't work - replaced a vacuum line and applied some electrical tape to the clutch arm that hits the micro-switch and we're in business, and 3. headsets don't work.

The headsets are still an issue and I'm not sure how to proceed. The bike has the standard audio system with no CB but it does have two plug-ins for the headsets. I can plug the headset into the front or rear connectors and I get nothing. Well, mostly nothing. It sounds like I get a very slight buzzing out of the headset speakers. VERY slight. The radio works well with the external speakers but as soon as I hit the SP/HS button I get nothing. The mute button on the handlebar has been sprayed with contact cleaner and does mute/unmute the external speakers so I'm assuming that's not the problem. As I understand it the AVC has nothing to do with the headsets, right?

I don't have the owner's manual, though I have an '86 copy, and have been able to figure out all the buttons and switches from the info on the forums. I've looked at all the schematics but what they say to me is mostly "this is how it should be hooked up", not "this is how to fix it". I've taken most of the stuff out of the fairing pocket and hit everything in sight with contact cleaner, removed the radio and cleaned the connections, pried them out and hit them with contact cleaner all with no results.

I have the shop manual and it has some troubleshooting advice but not for my specific problem. It has an ominous 'REPLACE RADIO/CASSETTE/INTERCOM UNIT' diagnosis that I don't want any part of but I'm not sure how to pinpoint the problem.

Anyone brave enough and well-versed on these things to walk me through it?
Lawrence

'97 GL1500SE
'98 Valkyrie Std
#1 05-15-2009, 06:13 PM,
Are you sure the speakers in the helmet you are using work? Maybe you could try the headset on a known good bike and see if they work on that one before you spend alot of time hunting a gremlin that may not be there.
Pappy
1998 GL1500 SE
Shelby, NC
[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
#2 05-15-2009, 07:01 PM,
When the bike is sold new, it doesnt have the headset junction box, this has to be purchased as an option.

The head set output from the radio is separate than that which supplies power to the amplifier for the speakers.

If I was trouble shooting, I would remove the headset junction box and plug the headset into the output from the radio.

The section marked red.

If that doesnt help then possibly contact Sierra.com and have the radio serviced.

You did say that you tried the headsets on another bike and they worked fine.

Attached Files
.jpg   option.jpg (Size: 55.95 KB / Downloads: 517)
.jpg   radio out.jpg (Size: 39.4 KB / Downloads: 523)
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 05-15-2009, 07:09 PM,
Headsets are brand new J&Ms so I'm assuming they work. When MikeF went to look at the bike before I bought it he took his headsets along to check out the intercom operation and it didn't work with his headsets either. But I will try plugging directly into the radio and see if that works.

Thanks, and I'll let you know how it goes. If the bike didn't come with the junction box when it was new then how would you have used the intercom? Oh, I get it. Honda puts the option on the bike but says, "Oh, you want to have intercom? All you need to do is buy this junction box for the measly sum of $XXXXXX dollars." Am I right? Sometimes it sickens me to think that such scammers were able to build such a great machine. But then, engineers and marketers don't share the same office, do they?

p.s. it's a long weekend here in Canada and I'm not riding. Last year at this time I was in the Black Hills. Here's what we have this year. Crap!!!

Attached Files
.jpg   May 16 snow.jpg (Size: 3.23 KB / Downloads: 674)
Lawrence

'97 GL1500SE
'98 Valkyrie Std
#4 05-16-2009, 10:51 AM,
wpgfire Wrote:Oh, I get it. Honda puts the option on the bike but says, "Oh, you want to have intercom? All you need to do is buy this junction box for the measly sum of $XXXXXX dollars." Am I right?

Yes your right, although the intercom is part of the radio, you still have to purchase the headset junction box.

Tough weather for you, my friend and I were in Niagara Falls yesterday, it was still a little cool and it is raining today but is supposed to clear by 5pm.

Maybe you could give Al Gore a call

#5 05-16-2009, 11:22 AM,
I'd like to give Al more than just a call! We set an all-time lowest high temperature yesterday. 3.7C. Last record set in 1942. I'm sure cheering on the cows in the area. Feed them more fiber!

Back to the issue at hand. How do I go about hooking up directly to the radio? As far as I can see there are only 2 DIN plugs coming out of the radio harness. One is a blue-banded female that goes to the AVC and the other is a male that wasn't plugged into anything. My connector cord that comes off the heasdset is also male. What am I missing? I don't seem to have a junction box but I have a multichanger. Do I still need the junction box? Here's a picture of what I have:

Attached Files
.jpg   87 Aspy multichanger web.jpg (Size: 83.39 KB / Downloads: 483)
Lawrence

'97 GL1500SE
'98 Valkyrie Std
#6 05-16-2009, 12:09 PM,
The multichanger box is part of the CB option.

You wouldnt need this if you just use the intercom, but you would need the intercom junction box.

Hook the headset to the radio and make sure that there is output.

I think you can get a headset junction box from sierra.

The multichanger's purpose in life is to mute the radio when a CB receive or transmit signal is received. and direct the CB signal toward the headset or speakers.

Attached Files
.gif   cb4.gif (Size: 30.49 KB / Downloads: 491)

#7 05-16-2009, 12:19 PM,
Still have the question as to what I'm plugging my MALE J&M connector into to check the radio. Only DIN connectors I see coming from the radio are the female blue going to the AVC and the unused male plug. Can I plug into the Blue connector going to the AVC?

I think I see what should have been happening. One of the red from the multichanger goes to the AVC, the other to the amp and the gray should go to the non-existent junction box. I wonder if a PO removed the CB from this bike? It shows no sign of ever having one, though it has the double antennae box and the multichanger. If they did they must have taken the junction box out at the same time.
Lawrence

'97 GL1500SE
'98 Valkyrie Std
#8 05-16-2009, 12:29 PM,
You can see the headset junction box on this diagram.
Sorry I thought the black 5pin DIN would accept the headset to test.

What normally happens, when the bike is purchased you get the radio and AVC. When you want the intercom you purchase the headset junction box and headsets.
When you get the CB option you discard one of the headset leads and plug the other into the multichanger. then plug the headsets into the outputs of the multichanger.

Attached Files
.jpg   cb option.jpg (Size: 79.93 KB / Downloads: 504)

#9 05-16-2009, 12:40 PM,
Be careful how hard you laugh. I'm coming to BC next month. With my luck I'll drag the snow with me and we'll be shaing our misery! Big Grin
Lawrence

'97 GL1500SE
'98 Valkyrie Std
#10 05-16-2009, 12:43 PM,
Tricky, is there a way to check the radio output without the junction box? Is it just a matter of plugging into the AVC DIN plug?

I'm assuming this is the item I need?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-HI-67">http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-HI-67</a><!-- m -->

And if I were to ever add the CB I'd need this?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIE-TYPEIII">http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp ... IE-TYPEIII</a><!-- m -->
Lawrence

'97 GL1500SE
'98 Valkyrie Std
#11 05-16-2009, 12:48 PM,
We're going to go to Burns Lake first to visit the wife's cousin, and maybe meet Keener for coffee in PG, and then we're heading to Richmond for the last weekend in June. I may just take you up on the offer.
Lawrence

'97 GL1500SE
'98 Valkyrie Std
#12 05-16-2009, 12:53 PM,
wpgfire Wrote:Tricky, is there a way to check the radio output without the junction box? Is it just a matter of plugging into the AVC DIN plug?

I'm assuming this is the item I need?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-HI-67">http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-HI-67</a><!-- m -->

And if I were to ever add the CB I'd need this?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIE-TYPEIII">http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp ... IE-TYPEIII</a><!-- m -->

If your getting music through the speakers then you know the signal is coming from the radio. you need to tap into the other cable.

Yes on the headset junction box and if you ever got the CB and mounting plate you would already have everything.
I think the cables coming from the multichanger are long enough to connect to the extension cables you probably bought with the headsets. So dont think you need the second cables.

#13 05-16-2009, 01:03 PM,
I'm getting great sound through the speakers. I'm not sure which "other cable" you are referring to. Can I assume that if I'm getting sound from the external speakers that I'm probably going to to be getting a signal to the junction box?

My connector cords running off the multichanger are long enough to reach to the passenger seat but it looks like those Sierra cords have a PTT button for the passenger which my cords don't have. No matter. I highly doubt I'll need the CB so I'll probably just remove the multichanger and sell it to someone who needs it. Anyone have an idea what it's worth or need one? Looks like you could add any CB to this system as long as it has 2 male DIN plugs coming off of it to hook into the multichanger.
Lawrence

'97 GL1500SE
'98 Valkyrie Std
#14 05-16-2009, 01:24 PM,
wpgfire Wrote:I'm getting great sound through the speakers. I'm not sure which "other cable" you are referring to.

The other cable coming from the radio, that is the one that would go to the headset junction box.

Can I assume that if I'm getting sound from the external speakers that I'm probably going to to be getting a signal to the junction box?

You can assume, yes and I would imagine, yes, but only when you plug in will you know.

Looks like you could add any CB to this system as long as it has 2 male DIN plugs coming off of it to hook into the multichanger.

Only the Panasonic CB would work with this unless you were an electronics guru. Most off the shelf CB's come with a built in amplifier, the panasonic uses the on board amplifier.

If you look at the diagram in post # 3 it does show it as a male connector (my mistake) if you had a patch cord female to female you could test for the output.

pin 3 is right channel 4 is ground 5 is left channel MIC + is 1 and MIC- is 2

#15 05-16-2009, 02:21 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intercom / Headset Recommendations Keener 10 3,270 06-04-2010, 04:08 AM
Last Post: 75Gold
  Radio/CB/Intercom thru headset pappy 3 2,459 06-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Last Post: silverfoxwing