Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
SYNTHETIC vs. PETROLEUM BASED MOTOR OILS...WHY I SWITCHED
Switched over to Amsoil this week and sure do notice the difference,much smoother and quieter.Has anyone seen improved fuel economy.Mine went up or seemes to have 4 to 5 mpg. Its good that my favorite mode of transportation now gets as good mileage as my wife new Ford Focus....
#46 11-14-2009, 04:36 PM,
Hard to believe that fuel economy would increase that much unless you had way too much oil in it before the oil change.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#47 11-14-2009, 06:29 PM,
I too have been using Mobil-1 Synthetic 75-80W in my final drive since I rebuilt the Wing 10,000 miles ago. I have not had any leaks. I have been runing a 20W50 blend in the crankcase for two years based on the recommendation of a guy who rebuilds wreak Goldwings for resale. I think is now time to move to full synthetic.
#48 11-14-2009, 08:11 PM,
So for a newbee synthetic user, what is the procedure? Should I just drain out the oil and change the filter and add Amsoil? Or is there a cleaning out that needs to be done? Also what about the final drive? Does that also get changed out? What would I now use for that?
1997 Valkyrie Tourer, 1987 Burgandy Aspencade with poorboy installed, and a 2005 Red GL 1800.
#49 11-15-2009, 05:47 AM,
Bump
1997 Valkyrie Tourer, 1987 Burgandy Aspencade with poorboy installed, and a 2005 Red GL 1800.
#50 11-20-2009, 05:38 AM,
Just drain as you would normally and refill with Amsoil product.

#51 11-20-2009, 06:57 AM,
I made the switch to synthetic after a water pump changeout in May. I didn't notice any difference in power, but I can say that the shifting was much smoother and there is less gear whine. I have not noticed any clutch slipping either. I used Mobile 1 10w50. I plan to switch to lighter oil in the next couple of weeks.
Jim(inSC)
#52 11-20-2009, 09:55 AM,
Thanks. What about the final drive?
#53 11-20-2009, 11:46 AM,
Same thing.

#54 11-20-2009, 01:07 PM,
Anybody use Amsoil in their snowblower?
I have a 21yr old honda HS35 that calls for 5w30
Dont know if synthetic will be better in this application or not?
#55 12-09-2009, 06:28 AM,
That's a terrific point. I think that I'll start using Amsoil in my snowblower, lanwmower and rototiller. The biggest reason for me to use it is the internal corrosion that occurs during the offseason. Amsoil stays in place whereas regular oil runs off leaving the bare metal surfaces open to corrosion due to moisture in the crankcase. Sure makes sense to me.

#56 12-09-2009, 09:00 AM,
admin Wrote:That's a terrific point. I think that I'll start using Amsoil in my snowblower, lanwmower and rototiller. The biggest reason for me to use it is the internal corrosion that occurs during the offseason. Amsoil stays in place whereas regular oil runs off leaving the bare metal surfaces open to corrosion due to moisture in the crankcase. Sure makes sense to me.

They dont have a 5w30... which one you going to try for the snowblower?
#57 12-09-2009, 09:11 AM,
I'm not sure, I'll have to ask GL1800 (Don) and see what he say's.

#58 12-09-2009, 10:12 AM,
Hi guys.
Been awhile since I've posted on here. Busy trying to get the shop expansion done.
Anyways I would recomend the Formula 4-Stroke 10W-30/SAE 30 Synthetic Small Engine Oil (ASE)
It's more economical than the 10W30 or 5W30 car oils.

[Image: ase_qt_350pxh.jpg]

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Small Engine Oil (ASE) is a robust formulation designed for hot-temperature, severe-service operation of small engines where routine maintenance is often difficult or infrequent. It is formulated with premium synthetic base oils that exceed both 10W-30 multi-grade and SAE 30 straight-grade viscosity requirements. Unlike conventional SAE 30 motor oils, AMSOIL Small Engine Oil has a naturally high viscosity index and does not contain paraffin (wax). It has a -38°F pour point and qualifies for SAE 10W, making it an “all-season,” multi-grade lubricant with a wide operating temperature range. As an SAE 30 weight motor oil, AMSOIL Small Engine Oil provides outstanding protection for hot-operating engines. Formula 4-Stroke Small Engine Oil is a commercial-grade lubricant that helps improve productivity and reduce maintenance costs through superior engine protection.
Resists Heat and Reduces Oil Consumption
AMSOIL engineered Formula 4-Stroke Small Engine Oil to withstand the high temperatures of hard working engines. It effectively resists oxidation and oil vaporization to control oil thickening and reduce oil consumption. AMSOIL Small Engine Oil lasts longer in service than conventional oils and keeps engines clean for peak operating efficiency.

Excellent For Transmission Systems
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Small Engine Oil is a shear stable formulation that contains no friction modifiers. It will not break down during rigorous mechanical activity, making it ideal for hydraulic or hydrostatic systems and chain cases. It is wet clutch compatible and designed to prevent clutch slippage in commercial or recreational transmissions. AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Small Engine Oil protects gears and bearings during high-demand, commercial duty service.

Superior Protection
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Small Engine Oil is formulated with high levels of premium anti-wear and detergent additive technology. It provides severe service protection of pistons, bearings and gears and effectively neutralizes acids from combustion by-products prone to small engines. Anti-rust additives further protect equipment during storage or infrequent use.

Applications and Recommendations
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Small Engine Oil is recommended for use wherever SAE 10W-30 or SAE 30 oil is specified in gasoline or diesel engines, transmissions, hydraulics and chain cases that require the following:

•API SL, SJ, SH, SG...(Gasoline)
•API CG-4, CD, CF (Diesel)
•JASO MA/MA2, ISO-L-EMA2 (Wet Clutch)
Engine manufacturers include - Briggs & Stratton, Kohler, Honda, Tecumseh, Robin, Kawasaki, Onan, Kubota, Yanmar, Wisconsin, Power Train, Vanguard and Linemar.

Equipment brands include - Toro, Ariens, Sears Craftsman, John Deere, MTD, Bolens, Dixie Chopper, Yard-Man, Coleman, Murry, Troy-Bilt, Ex-Cell Generac, Snapper, Simplicity, Ingersoll, Wheel Horse, Homelite, Porter Cable, Devilbass, Poulan, Cambell, Hausfeld, Massey Ferguson, Thomas, Bobcat, Kubota, New Holland and Caterpillar.

Applications include - Maintenance equipment, tractors, lawn and garden equipment, generators, compactors, pumps, light towers, log splitters, welders, power washers, cement mixers and trowels, skid-steers, excavators and compressors.

Mixing AMSOIL
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Small Engine Oil is compatible with conventional and synthetic motor oils. Mixing AMSOIL motor oils with other oils, however, will shorten the oil life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. Aftermarket oil additives are not recommended for use with AMSOIL motor oils.

Service Life
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Small Engine Oil is a long-life formulation that can last longer than conventional petroleum oils. It provides an extra measure of protection when equipment typically goes longer between oil changes than is recommended by the equipment manufacturer. Due to wide variances in operating conditions and maintenance practices, AMSOIL recommends extending drain intervals when monitored by oil analysis or following the equipment manufacturer-established drain intervals.

Health & Safety
This product is not expected to cause health concerns when used for the intended application and according to the recommendations in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). An MSDS is available upon request at 715-392-7101 or on the AMSOIL Website. Keep Out of Reach of Children. Don’t pollute. Return used oil to collection centers.

TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES

FORMULA 4-STROKEÂ 10W-30/SAE 30 Synthetic Small Engine Oil (ASE)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)

Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270)

Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97)
-39 (-38)

Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)
236 (457)

Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)
256 (493)

Four Ball Wear Test
(ASTM D-4172B: 40 kg, 75°C, 1200 rpm, 1 hour), Scar, mm

Noack Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D-5800)
4.1%

High Temperature/High Shear @ 150°C and 1.0 X 106 s-1, cP (ASTM D 4683), cP

Total Base Number

#59 12-09-2009, 05:22 PM,
My goodness, that was fast Don, thank you. :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:

#60 12-09-2009, 05:37 PM,