Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedometer calibration?
I've noticed when using my GPS while riding my speedometer is 4mph too high. During my recent front wheel removal, I also notice on the speed unit there were some etchings similar to timing marks with a screw type thing in the middle. Is this where I could turn to calibrate the speedometer? If necessary I'll post a picture of it.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#1 04-07-2010, 04:26 PM,
Yep, my Aspy indicates about 5 MPH too fast also. Any input as to getting a more accurate speedometer reading would be appreciated. I did see a retiming device on the net but it was selling for around $100 which is more than I wish to spend.
#2 04-07-2010, 07:13 PM,
Yes, our speedo's read fast. No, there isn't an adjustment, or we all would have done it by now. Dave85LTD had a post awhile back about an aftermarket company that makes devices for that purpose.
On a lighter note, I had a customer in three weeks ago claiming his speedo read fast. According to his gps, one mph too fast. I just laughed.
"I'd rather believe a signal bounced from an object in the atmosphere is more accurate than a $50,000.00 cars speedometer". I'm not calling anybody a liar for one lousy mile per hour, but REALLY?
Serious case of "buyers remorse". :lol:
#3 04-07-2010, 07:21 PM,
As Mike said there is no adjustment so you either spend the $100 on the device that drops 5% of the pulses or you use the calculator between your ears.
105=100MPH
52.5=50MPH
etc.
Personally I just use my wet calculator. :lol:
#4 04-07-2010, 08:03 PM,
* The indicated speed must never be less than the actual speed, i. e. it should not be possible to inadvertently speed because of an incorrect speedometer reading.
* The indicated speed must not be more than 110 percent of the true speed plus 4 km/h at specified test speeds. For example, at 80 km/h, the indicated speed must be no more than 92 km/h.

so there.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#5 04-07-2010, 08:15 PM,
tricky Wrote:so there.
Boys, we have just been told!! Confusedhock: :lol:
#6 04-07-2010, 09:00 PM,
I once ran across a device called a Speedohealer. Spandex jokes aside, I was concerned about speedometer accuracy as well. I found that my Majesty speedo, as well as just about any other bike I encountered reads anywhere from 3 to 5 mph too high, the error increasing with speed.I found a GPS when used as a reference, gives me an idea of true speed.(the wet calculator)Now, quiz kids, will the odometer reflect the same inaccuracy?
Quickly,Patrick
#7 04-07-2010, 11:09 PM,
I had a nice long chat with the support at healtech last summer and here's what they said...

Quote:The 84-87 GL1200 is compatible with the SpeedoHealer but a custom SH box and
custom plug-n-go wiring harness is needed.
This is because this bike uses different connector pin-out and different
voltage levels than later models.

We can make the custom SH kit at no extra charge, but it should be ordered
direct from us.
The cost is 87 EUR with shipping included.

We discussed the wiring and I had to confirm voltage on several of the pins. Since I was unsure about the regulator at the time I quit pursuing this purchase, but now that I've got a solid 14.5 I may try again.

Mines been pretty simple though as it's exactly 10% compared to a gps so I know 44 is 40, 55 is 50, etc...
#8 04-08-2010, 10:51 AM,
Basically it's just simple protection against an unwanted ticket. Believe me I know how much those unwanted tickets hurt.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#9 04-08-2010, 02:31 PM,
admin Wrote:Believe me I know how much those unwanted tickets hurt.
As opposed to those WANTED tickets?? :-\ :-\ :lol:
#10 04-08-2010, 08:37 PM,
admin Wrote:Basically it's just simple protection against an unwanted ticket. Believe me I know how much those unwanted tickets hurt.

They might be unwanted but, with a bike named the "Nuclear Banana", I don't think they're unexpected.... :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
1985 Limited Edition
#11 04-08-2010, 09:41 PM,