Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burning coolant
Got a question here. I got a 85 GL1200 had some carb issues last summer I posted, still got those, but I dug the bike out of storage yesterday and it acually fired rite up, it ran for a few seconds and filled the shed up with smoke, it looked like a rock concert with 10 fog machines, and it smells sweet. Now I all ready planded on pulling the carbs off and doing them the rite way, is there a common problem on these for head gaskets or something else internally. I'm putting a timing belt on it this yr so I will be into it that far anyway, should I go ahead with a head gasket. Shes got 65000 on her and I don't think its ever been opened up. I did smell antifreeze at start up last yr a couple of times if it sat for a few days and it went rite away. Thanks for any info. :-\
#1 03-24-2010, 07:07 PM,
Indeed it seems we have all replaced head gaskets at one time or another but also if this bike sits that long it has a tendency to smoke the first time until you ride for a bit.
#2 03-24-2010, 08:07 PM,
How is the coolant level in the resevouir?
1985 Limited Edition
#3 03-24-2010, 08:58 PM,
Ok copy on the smoke a bit if it sits awhile,and the resivour loses maybe 2 or 3 cap fulls all summer. I'm leaning toward just putting head gaskets in it anyway like I say I bought it with 64000 miles on it and would just feel better getting it on my maintence schedule, cause there isn't anything worse than going for a ride and having problems. But it will be a couple of weeks before I get time to tear into it so i'll soak up all the knowalge I can get from yall till then. Thank You.
#4 03-25-2010, 05:42 AM,
Quote:cause there isn't anything worse than going for a ride and having problems

Ditto on that. Last year I was smelling coolant, and my temperature gauge became erratic. This didn't happen overnight, it went on for over a month or so. Then one day I was about 40 miles from home and the temp gauge nearly pegged itself....had to nurse it home running really hot. Did replace both head gaskets in August, lost a lot of good riding time because of that.

If you think the telltale signs are evident, and it appears that they are, I would go ahead and do the head gaskets. Better to get them done before summer really gets here. Don't wait until August and have coolant dripping from the exhaust like I did!! :roll: Especially if you are replacing belts, once you get the belts and radiator off you are well on your way.

If you need help, there are lots of guys on here that can help you along the way.
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#5 03-25-2010, 06:11 AM,
Whats a good all around repair manual to get for the GL1200, I don't know if they make motorcycle manuals but Haynes & Chilton suck in the automotive world. :YMTONGUE:
#6 03-25-2010, 08:17 AM,
littleitchy Wrote:Whats a good all around repair manual to get for the GL1200, I don't know if they make motorcycle manuals but Haynes & Chilton suck in the automotive world. :YMTONGUE:
The official Honda service manual?
A web search for 61ML950-AH which is the Honda part number gives me 414 hits, prices ranging from $25 to $55 US.
#7 03-25-2010, 08:39 AM,
I like the Clymer manual..
1985 Limited Edition
#8 03-25-2010, 10:19 AM,
Cool I was thinking Clymer but a offical Honda i'm guessing would be better. Thanks guys.
#9 03-25-2010, 01:44 PM,