Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Need suggestions/guidence on electrical and cooling issues .
1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Just finished our vacation trip from Massachusetts to Niagara Falls Ontario to Americade 2010 Lake George NY and back to Massachusetts. I had a few issues I dealt with during our trip. Good news is the 1200 got us home safely.

First, before we left a few times we had an electrical issue that cut out the motor. As I pulled in the clutch to pull over we'd get a good backfire which I guess is from the unburned fuel in the pipes. It would start right up and then run fantastic. It only happened a few times, as we compression braked downhill, as we accelerated, and now more and more after we would take a break then start riding again. Upon shifting and accelerating you can feel like a connection is touching then not touching then engine stops, boom, pull over get hard start, then like something clicks it fires up and it runs fantastic again. Additionally, I'm getting what looks like lots of white smoke (coolant-using Evans NPG+) which just suddenly goes away as quickly as the electrical issue. More on my coolant is that while riding my temp gauge went to 10 bars and stayed there. I am now a huge fan of Evans NPG+ because it doesn't boil until 375 degrees Fahrenheit, the bike never boiled over. It ran hot, ran quite well hot, but didn't boil over or pop a radiator hose. However, the intermittent white smoke brings around the question of a bad head gasket.

Now the confusing part is how good she runs when these intermittent issues aren't happening. On the ride back from Lake George once after a stop we got the white smoke which cleared up as we took off, then the engine cut out, started, cut out, started and ran great as we drove secondary roads for a hundred miles at 45mp average. The last 60 miles we took the highway maintaining 70mph with good passing acceleration. Got to the stop sign in front of our house and it stalled, started and pulled into our driveway.

I checked the oil, using Mobil 1 synthetic for motorcycles and its still clean oil only on the stick.

My thoughts are of course a thermostat, read the "stant vs OE" post and not sure which to use. I'm wondering if I need to do head gaskets, and if so, what else should I do while I have them off. I would do both sides just for the peace of mind. Other then gaskets for the heads, valve covers, valve seals, intake o-rings, and exhaust what else do I need? I have been purchasing OEM stuff from PowersEdge online. As for the electrical, I did read Vic's post about his corroded connectors. I would pull off the false tank unplug each connector, spray electrical cleaner, check for any wear, tear, corrosion then apply dielectric grease and re-connect.

Any suggestions/guidance to verify I need head-gaskets or what the best source in their purchase. What connector is the most likely culprit?

Upgrades include:
Poorboy's conversion, 50amp fused to battery.
Dogbone fuse conversion to 30amp ATC type
Accessory terminal wired to relay so new 6 circuit ATC type fuse block direct to battery which has its own 30amp fuse
Coils on relay controlled by above ATC fused circuit
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#1 06-14-2010, 11:15 AM,
Looking at my old thermostat, can't tell if it's OE. Only markings on it are "NTC 82 (degrees centigrade)"
#2 06-14-2010, 12:21 PM,
When it cuts out have you tried wiggling the key ?
joe
#3 06-14-2010, 07:47 PM,
Haven't tried that yet, usually busy getting turn signal on and pulling to side of road. I will keep it in mind if I can safely try that because the ignition switch is one of the areas I first suspected.
#4 06-15-2010, 12:21 AM,
I'm guessing with only one suggestion to my post, my own suggestions are the route. I was hoping for help on determining the intermittent white smoke and if it's a head gasket issue. I've already ordered thermostat and temp sender switch. Guess I'll do those and check all electrical connections and ride a bit from there.
#5 06-17-2010, 12:12 PM,
There have been a large number of posts on headgaskets. Check this link. It's the easiest and most reliable test I know.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7070">viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7070</a><!-- l -->
#6 06-18-2010, 07:08 AM,