Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.57 Average
Sirius/XM
Does anybody have an XM or Sirius satellite receiver mounted on their wing? Does anybody have any tricks or tips they can share to improve satellite reception on a bike?

Over the weekend, I mounted an XM radio on the bike. The unit works very good actually, but what I have found is that every once in a while, I will lose the signal as is typical when going under a bridge. The wild thing is, I go under 6 or 7 bridges on the way to and from work and I never lose the signal, but going down the wide open road, the signal will drop once in a while. No big deal, but I would like to eliminate these drops.

I have tried the antenna on top of the handle bars, on top of the false tank rack and on the false tank lid as well. My reception seems to be the same no matter where I mount the antenna. I realize that when you stick the antenna on a vehicle, it uses the metal to increase the surface area for the antenna (at least that's what I've been told) and obviously on the bike, there just isn't a lot of metal surface area.

Rich
#1 06-30-2010, 03:51 PM,
You could try running a ground wire from the bike frame to the antenna.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#2 06-30-2010, 05:45 PM,
These providers often have terrestrial(on the ground) repeaters in cities. So you might get much better reception in town.

here is a map of repeaters...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dogstarradio.com/sirius_map.php">http://www.dogstarradio.com/sirius_map.php</a><!-- m -->
#3 06-30-2010, 05:47 PM,
I have the Sirius Sportster 5 installed with an FM Direct wired connection and a trucker's antenna. I installed a second left antenna mount, used a 3/8 threaded rod, covered by aluminum tube, capped with stainless steel acorn nuts. I had to mount a extra support in the trunks' chrome to help support the stress of 75mph highway driving. The FM direct adapter plugs in the FM output of the Sirius receiver then plugs directly into the FM antenna socket, and the actuall FM antenna plugs into the FM direct adapter. Whenever your satellite receiver is on, it overrides any FM signal going to your radio. Just match the FM freq between the receiver and radio. When you want to use terrestrial FM you must turn off the satellite receiver. I traced the FM antenna cable and just between the false tank and left side fairing is a plug you can use. I get fantastic reception, even in hilly, treed areas. Of course bridges are the spot where you are just hiding from the satellite and can't do much about those. Anyway, the truckers' antenna is the best bet for reception and the FM Direct adapter is the best for blocking all other FM signals.

[attachment=1]
[attachment=0]

Attached Files
.jpg   wing left side from rear.JPG (Size: 500.35 KB / Downloads: 177)
.jpg   wing berkshires2.JPG (Size: 431.48 KB / Downloads: 174)
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#4 06-30-2010, 06:57 PM,
I have the Sirius Sportster 3 installed with an FM Direct wired connection set up on my Tahoe, work van and my 84 wing. They all work grate, but I found the same deed spots show up with all three. All year. Have not try the trucker's antenna. Will haft to give it a go. One thing, My bike kit came with a case for the receivers and I use some rubber bands to hold it in with lock. I`M DOWN ONE Sportster 3 (on mass pike this year) so use the case. :d
Bob Saint

1984 Aspencade
#5 11-03-2010, 05:12 PM,