Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some "General" tuning advice?
A few general questions being I've never ridden a new goldwing to know how they really are suppose to run. trying to find out if things are now "Normal" after my 3 month rebuild.

SO...The bike is all together but I'm having a hell of a time getting the carbs set "Just Right" there were alot of Previous Owner issues with the carbs. Faulty chrome tops, a damaged needle a wrong Jet in one carb(miss matched)....bad rebuild and bad orings...

Anyway, I feel I have gotten all the faults out of the bike. Like frozen brakes and bad suspension, even hard wired the stator and rectifier that was "." that close to being a major short. Updated the starter solenoid to a blade type. Bike starts and stays running (from previous no run to run with tons of smoke and missing) no more smoke of any sort, no burning of oil...etc etc...

However here is my issue with setting up the carbs.
If I set them up by the book I get great gas milage (40mpg 2up 42mpg single). However I get Lean Pops through the carbs! If I set the carbs up with a Shim in the needle I don't get the lean pops anymore but my milage suffers and goes to mid to high 30's I do have to experiment more with the shims I think.

However! Being shims were never factory/stock (that I know of?)

How is this bike really suppose to run?
What am I missing here?
I've triple checked the carbs and I cannot find anything dirty, leaking, or problem with them? I hear a huge difference in gas milage from various posts here and other sites. I'm told that the lean pops are BAD and to eliminate them as well as I'm told I'm having a hard time getting the setting right due to these bikes are from a time of Leaded gas and that newer gas with no lead makes a very lean condition in the bikes? SO, now that I have "Information Overload" I'm coming to the experts here, how should I set the carbs on the lean side or the rich side? I've tired that ColorTune spark plug thing and actually with the SHIM IN that device indicates the right "Color" though the gas milage is poor. I use the companion CarbTune to sync the bike and I'm even throughout the RPM band...

Any Advise?
OH to add I've already gone through the ignition and spark plugs and wires too. The electrical system is good as well though I am on the "Original" stator. That whole system tests OK though...

Two things I've not done yet that I'd like opinions on?
I hear there is a "Harness" to by-pass the stock wiring to the coils. WOULD this actually help at all?
I also here there are 2 spark plugs listed for the bike.
Standard, DPR8xxxx
Highway, DPR9xxxx
How does one decided which plug to use?
Extended Highway use, What does that really mean? My commute is 60 miles and majority highway does that mean I should be using the DPR9's instead of the DPR8's?
Any pointers on setting up the carbs too would be a huge help.

ANYONE in the NJ or Eastern PA area good at setting up carbs? Would you want to help a guy out?
Thanks all this site has been the most valuable resource in this 3 month build.
#1 07-17-2010, 07:42 AM,
everbody runs 8's,i think the 9 may be if you are really "cruisin" like 80+ all time,but like i say everybody gets along fine with the 8's

pm sent
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 07-17-2010, 07:52 AM,