Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
Radio hum
I got caught in a heavy rain last week, and since then my radio continuously makes a humming sound regardless if it is on cassette or FM. I switched out the radio for another on my other 1200, and it turns out the sound is not the radio, but the bike itself. It hums if the bike is running, or if the bike is off and the key turned on. Another words, whenever the bike battery is switched on. I know everything is pretty much dried out, so I don't have a clue what the sound is. It appears to increase if I turn up the volume on the speed sensor, or whatever you call it. Any ideas?
1997 Valkyrie Tourer, 1987 Burgandy Aspencade with poorboy installed, and a 2005 Red GL 1800.
#1 08-22-2010, 06:25 AM,
Sounds to me like you may have a wire to ground situation, or moisture is causing a grounding effect. Sometimes water can get trapped and hang around for quite a while even when all seems dry. Since this is happening even when you try a different radio, I would look at the speaker connections as well as those for the auto volume controls in the left side of the fairing. Of course I could be wrong and all wet on this subject. :lol:
#2 08-23-2010, 12:45 PM,
bagelboy Wrote:I got caught in a heavy rain last week, and since then my radio continuously makes a humming sound regardless if it is on cassette or FM. I switched out the radio for another on my other 1200, and it turns out the sound is not the radio, but the bike itself. It hums if the bike is running, or if the bike is off and the key turned on. Another words, whenever the bike battery is switched on. I know everything is pretty much dried out, so I don't have a clue what the sound is. It appears to increase if I turn up the volume on the speed sensor, or whatever you call it. Any ideas?

Geeze after reading your post I went out and started my bike and the radio hummed never did it before :lol: BUT I never left it out in the damp weather for 2 days (covered of course) before . After riding it for about 20 minutes it gradually stopped humming once it got warm and dry.

So don't worry it will go away :lol:
#3 08-24-2010, 08:31 AM,