Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
87 Gl 1200 I Radio Squeels when hitting a bump then fades
The radio squeels after hitting a bump. the squeel will eventualy fade out... I have opened the left side and checked the connections all seem OK!!! I was reading another post and I'm going to try another Radio I have that was Ok...
87 1200 I
77 Holiday Rambler
75 cb750 ss trike
78cb750 Hondamatic
#1 09-08-2010, 03:32 PM,
Pull the radio out an carefully open the contacts on the radio so that they make a better contact when it is plugged in.

Over time all the jarring tends to make them loose.

Give it a try
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 09-08-2010, 06:14 PM,
Hello Tricky, Dave Hughes here.
I was having some bizarre symptoms with my ’86 Aspy’s radio and thought it might be a loose antenna wire where it connects into the radio/faring. I read your bit on springing those contacts slightly and it struck me that those contacts could be at the bottom of my problems, too. I have cleaned those contacts with an eraser in the past but it never occurred to me to re-spring the contacts. I donned my close-up magnifying outfit and carefully put a bit of a stretch on all of them. I noted that some of them looked like they had been hot at one time or another indicating resistance; not good. After re-springing them all I took a new round pencil, the kind used for advertisement with soft lead, and used that nice big eraser to clean the contacts, both sides simultaneously! That big eraser is exactly the right size. It was a bit of luck to have that happen. After cleaning all the contacts I would clean the eraser by rubbing it on my jeans; then go over the contacts again until there wasn’t any sign of dirt on the eraser. One of my problems was with AM reception and it seems vastly improved just sitting in the garage. It was too windy today to do any kind of test riding but I am betting on your ‘cure’ for wacky radio symptoms. Also, it was FINALLY warm enough to install my new ODYSSEY battery that was recommended by our mutual friend, Vic. Thanks, Tricky!
[Image: davepic.jpg]
#3 04-26-2011, 07:07 PM,
I find I have to do it once a year depending on how rough or smooth the roads are where you do your main riding.

I was in FL for the winter with my bike and riding down to Lake Okeechobee hit a heck of a bump, well jees you would have thought the sky had fallen in, My intercom let out such a squeal, wife thought the bike was going to blow up.

At the next stop I opened up the contacts a little and solved the problem again Smile, s&*(t never ends Smile

#4 04-26-2011, 07:23 PM,
This is so weird … I am getting my ’86 ready for a trip to Key West on the 19th of next month (May). My riding pard has a 600cc Honda Silver Wing scooter and has made the trip (1500 miles, one way) twice with his wife before. Those Silver Wings are awesome and definitely NOT your father’s Cushman. He has had it to 105mph once with plenty of throttle left over, says he.
My battery was a WesCo that was 6 years old, but still running strong. No time to have your battery poop out on you, no. The ODYSSEY is pricey but its credentials are impressive – military specs; ‘when it absolutely, positively must perform’. I like that in a battery.
Stay tooned on the radio tune-up (no pun intended). Mine was doing that squeely thing plus the disconnect on the bumpies along with poor reception. How do you access the antenna connection in the faring anyway? I don’t think that’s the problem but I am a worry-wort. david
#5 04-26-2011, 07:56 PM,
The antenna cable is combined in the harness the first connection being in the left pocket or there abouts. Pin # 11 on the connector.

Attached Files
.jpg   connection.jpg (Size: 28.25 KB / Downloads: 408)

#6 04-27-2011, 05:40 AM,
Are those pins gold plated?
#7 04-28-2011, 03:42 AM,
Your tip my fixed my radio problems - all of them! I am happy and THANK YOU for the tip! drhdc39
#8 05-16-2011, 05:40 AM,
My radio would give me "static" when I went over big bumps

thought I would have to live with it.

After I read about "respringing" the contacts I tried that, worked like A million bucks

wanted to say thanks for the tip.

Dan
#9 05-20-2011, 02:53 PM,
The radio worked without a hitch all the way to Key West and back this past 7 days; a total trip of 3,503.7 miles. Hughes
#10 05-25-2011, 02:29 PM,
If you check and re-spring those contacts in the back of the radio PLEASE do it LOVINGLY and use magnification if possible. You will regret it if you are too aggressive. h
#11 08-29-2011, 05:58 PM,
Hope I'm not thread jacking, but could anyone tell me where the splitter (also called a duplexor or something like that I think) that splits the connection for the radio and CB is located and what it looks like. My CB looks and acts like it is in perfect working order, however... when I try to transmit or recieve signals it doesn't work. It shows the TX showing that it is trying to transmit, but to no avail. I can be running down the road at times with it on, and I will occasionally get a signal in, but it has quite a bit of static and the voice is very faint. I am beginning to think that it either has the splitter removed, or maybe just has come loose.

Thanks for ya'lls help on this continuing problem area for me. Any other ideas and thoughts would be appreciated. I'm hoping to salvage the original system, but if I'm going to have to spend a fair amount of money sending it to Sierra Electronics, I would rather spend that money and get one of the J&M handlebar systems.
-Austin Walker-

Let the fun begin.
#12 08-30-2011, 07:37 AM,
your splitter should be on the bottom of the fairing pocket attached to the fairing by a screw,once you pull the cb out,if you are running two antennas someone may have removed the splitter and run separate cables to each one
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#13 08-30-2011, 09:01 AM,
Just a single antennae on the bike, and it was actually missing when I bought it. I had to order another one off ebay.. I was afraid you were gonna say the splitter is all the way at the bottom... Now I get to figure out who to get the CB out.
-Austin Walker-

Let the fun begin.
#14 08-30-2011, 02:02 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AUX Plug-in in GL 1200 Pansonic Radio... Brodaty Mis 24 11,757 04-04-2016, 04:50 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  How dop I make the old 1200 Panasonic radio sound better 22 6,189 10-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Last Post: neoracer
  Radio Antenna help needed for 84 Aspy 1200 GL LarryH 11 3,900 06-07-2009, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Guest
  85 1200 limited radio 5 2,521 06-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Last Post: Barrister