Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Not Enough Oil,
Hi,
I am just about ready to buy a GL1200, a few small things need attention, but I checked the oil and there seemed to be only a smear of oil in the dip stick. ( level area, on center stand )
the owner admits he never checked the oil, or anything else for that matter, but he says Previous Owner was good with reg. maint.
I drove the bike a week before, everything seemed good, no oil light on, but I am concerned about how low the oil was, and was for perhaps the entire 6 or 8 weeks it's been driven like this.
Temp. while riding seemed normal, i checked the oil in the rear end, and the coolant level was at the upper mark, all seem good but I 'm looking for feedback about being low on oil.
It has about 90,000.00 miles or (145,000.00 kilometers) on it.
suggestions and advise appriciated.
Redmond.
#1 10-04-2010, 08:18 AM,
I would be more concerned with the fact that this guy never checked anything.
Did he own/ride it long enough to effect the overall condidion?
#2 10-04-2010, 09:58 AM,
MN86i Wrote:I would be more concerned with the fact that this guy never checked anything.
Did he own/ride it long enough to effect the overall condidion?

He Had an accident with his "new" bike, so he only purchased the GL1200 6 to 8 weeks ago while his bike was in the repair shop.
#3 10-04-2010, 11:47 AM,
Personal opinion is that if oil shows on the dip stick then it probably isn't a problem.
#4 10-04-2010, 02:20 PM,
If you end up buying the bike, first thing would be an oil change, right?
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#5 10-04-2010, 05:31 PM,
Keener Wrote:If you end up buying the bike, first thing would be an oil change, right?

Yes, amoung other things, Oil will be top of the list, This bike will be for my Partner, same year, same model as my own.
Redmond
#6 10-05-2010, 05:41 AM,
For those that care, read the first line, although that might be a little overkill, at least once a week should suffice depending on the mileage ridden though.
You will hear it when the oil level drops to an unsafe level, you will think the engine in rattling itself to death.

Attached Files
.jpg   oil.jpg (Size: 70.31 KB / Downloads: 144)
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#7 10-05-2010, 06:11 AM,