Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Clutch issue
When I start up my bike, it seems like I can't squeeze my clutch lever in far enough to make me able to shift gears. Sometimes I can get into first, but then I am stuck. Once the bike seems to warm up enough (riding around in first for a little bit) it seems to shift like nothing is wrong. Any suggestions? Air in the lines, new fluid? new clutch? My lines (brakes, ect...) are original, should I get them replaced? Braided? Just don't know what avenue to take. I have an 86 gl1200 Aspencade.
#1 04-22-2011, 12:32 PM,
The first thing I would do is flush out your old fluid and replace it with new fluid, make sure there is no air in the lines. The old fluid will break down after a while to the point that your clutch will hardly work.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#2 04-22-2011, 12:54 PM,
Pull the clutch lever off and check the bushing to determine if it is worn oblong. If it is worn get a new bushing at the dealer. This is a common GL1200 issue that seems to baffle a lot of guys but when the bushing is replaced the clutch problem is resolved.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#3 04-27-2011, 04:17 PM,
Thanks so much! I will be checking both of these issues asap! Will let you know which or both fix the problem.
#4 05-02-2011, 05:04 PM,
Turns out it was the fluid (recommended it gets changed every two years...I have not been doing that). They said the bushing looked "ok" but they could replace it if I wanted them to. Unfortunately, they said they no longer make just the bushing and I would have to order the set. They also said I can't get pipes for my bike, so I am going to have to make another post for that as I think I have a leaky exhaust system. Thanks again for all your help!
#5 05-11-2011, 05:56 PM,