Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Training wheels for slow speed riding
I have a 85 LTD with 63,000 miles that my buddy rides at times. He has bad knees and drops the bike often. The only damage to the bike so far has been a busted mirror.

I am working on a set of training wheels for the bike and would like to know if anyone has ever seen or used anything like theese. I got the idea from a utube video about the landinggear that was made in new orleans.

Here is what I have got so far

Bill

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_2023.JPG (Size: 72.6 KB / Downloads: 231)
.jpg   IMG_0624.JPG (Size: 55.71 KB / Downloads: 231)
#1 06-20-2011, 06:46 AM,
Similar to my idea as to what a set of stabilizer wheels should look like. What are you going to power them with? I very much need a set. The problem to me is the electronics and hydrolics. I don't have much computer knowledge as to application on a device like this. Keep us informed. Thanks.
Bobby
#2 06-20-2011, 08:38 AM,
I have a rocker switch mounted on the left handlebar to operate the system. After everything is working I will make it so it works automaticaly at about 5 mph.
The system is driven by a motor that turns a threaded rod. No hydrolics involved.

It takes about 2 sec. to lower or raise the wheels but I need to find a stronger moter. It will not 'right' the bike if leaned over at all.

Bill

Attached Files
.jpg   Gear-Switch_2.JPG (Size: 61.43 KB / Downloads: 216)
#3 06-20-2011, 12:51 PM,
Bill,
Did you remove the center stand to mount your device? Could you give the motor a little more leverage by having a longer deployment time?
Bob
#4 06-20-2011, 02:43 PM,
Badnews_bill Wrote:I have a rocker switch mounted on the left handlebar to operate the system. After everything is working I will make it so it works automaticaly at about 5 mph.
The system is driven by a motor that turns a threaded rod. No hydrolics involved.

It takes about 2 sec. to lower or raise the wheels but I need to find a stronger moter. It will not 'right' the bike if leaned over at all.

Bill

What kind of motor are you using? I would think one of the heavy duty electric window motors would work good....

You might also try a scissors jack approach it could give you the leverage you need...
#5 06-20-2011, 04:07 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  training wheels pictures now up SIR tricky 2 982 02-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky