Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
On board air compressor problem 85 LTD
Arrived home today after a 5000 K trip of the coast of Washington,Oregon,California. The air compressor was'nt working right and each time I stopped for fuel and shut the bike off the pressure needed to be set again sometimes it would work sometimes not.Eventually it would either not pump or would pump but would'nt build pressure at all.I had a 12v air pump along in case of a flat and used it to pump up the rear suspension by taking the right side cover off and connecting the hose of the air pump to the airshock valve.The shocks held air ok and I did'nt use the on board system again after that. What is the most common problem with the on board air compressor system?

Is there a blown seal or a leaking airline or ??

Riding two up and loaded with 2 weeks worth of gear the suspension had to perform and it was useless until I pumped the shocks manually.
Other than that the old girl ran beautifully,never missed a beat and we put her through her paces on freeways,backroads,heavy rain, 38 degree celcius Heat,Steep mountain roads,and lots of construction zones.No one could ask for more from a 26 year old bike.
#1 07-20-2011, 02:40 AM,
Probably just needs to TLC

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=87">http://gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=87</a><!-- m -->
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 07-20-2011, 05:02 AM,
Glad you're back safely, Robert, and that you enjoyed the trip. Can you post some pictures?
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#3 07-20-2011, 07:46 AM,
Sounds a lot like there's a hole somewhere in the hose from the compressor to the shock.
#4 07-20-2011, 03:14 PM,