Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Worrying about the next trouble with my bike!
When our Wing came to us at 23 yrs of age the helpful comments come from other riders:

- that's an "old bike" - you aren't riding it far are you ? etc etc etc.
- add some internet information about breakdowns, repairs, flaws, crash and burn...

One can fall victim to "old bike lockup" where you think about riding somewhere, but fuss about everything your machine "needs..." (we are in the Age of Dissatisfaction with Everything..)

So I devised a little game:

After say 2 or 3 weeks of trouble free local riding to and from work, batting around after supper, Sunday pm rides, I look at the odometer, then, over coffee, I check where those km's (miles) would have taken me in one direction... or where to and back again... it's kind of fun... and a great antidote to "old bike reliability fear"

So today's exercise involved the total km's I've ridden our Wing since we got it, which is 30,000km (it's just coming up to 100,000 km in the next week or two). 30,000 km would be riding from Victoria, British Columbia, to Bonavista, Newfoundland and Labrador via Calgary for coffee with Keener, and Wawa, Ontario - and back to Victoria, BC, via coffee with keener, two times round trip. Google says it's about 7300 km (4570 statute miles) each way. Perspective - Bonavista is what, 1500 miles east of New York City..? Or just west of Ireland, comprared to where I live...

Without one single "breakdown." Oh, except I blew a horn fuse once honking my aftemarket horns in a tunnel because they are louder than my riding pal's Harley with his sweet pipes... it's a childish game, honking in tunnels, I know... but I carry spare fuses - there's a place for them in the fuse box and tools on a Wing...

I'm just sayin.... maybe we fuss too much and ride not enough sometimes?

#1 07-21-2011, 05:36 AM,
:YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:
#2 07-21-2011, 07:04 AM,
I'm thinking I better charge up the Hortons' card if you're gonna be here for coffee that many times! :d
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#3 07-21-2011, 07:12 AM,
Kinda reminds me of my father when we saw a beat up old rattle trap go by with fenders a flopping and no back
window two different colored doors smoke boiling out the back everyone in the car smiling and waving having a
good time. My father said (don't know whether its ignorance or bliss). Took me awhile to understand what he meant
but all in all they had a good time and thats what counts.
p.s. I like the game idea !!!!!!
87 Interstate
Can't wait till my next ride !!!!
#4 07-23-2011, 06:49 AM,
With 200K miles on my Interstate I would not hesitate to ride across country tomorrow. Keep up with the basic maintenance and ride.
Remember, No matter where you go...There you are!

Here is where I have ridden my 1984 GL1200I
I completed the lower 48 states in August 2009, riding the whole way with my Dad

[Image: VisitedStatesMap-1.jpg]
#5 07-25-2011, 10:18 PM,