Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) Tire Guide
Quote:

IRVINE, Calif., Dec. 6, 2011 – For the first time ever, the Motorcycle Industry Council is offering the motorcycling community an in-depth tire guide. Developed in conjunction with leading motorcycle tire manufacturers, this extensive, 20-page street tire guide is designed to assist motorcyclists with tire selection, inspection, maintenance and more. Not only does the MIC Tire Guide help riders choose the correct tires for their particular motorcycle and riding style, it also provides information on proper inflation, the hazards of overloading a motorcycle, and recognizing when it's time to replace tires.
The MIC Tire Guide also helps riders better understand and utilize sidewall information, and includes color photos, technical diagrams and charts outlining speed and load ratings. Also included are tire-mounting suggestions, a primer detailing the differences between how motorcycle tires and car tires work, and tips for dealing with a tire failure. Finally, a Tire Replacement Log and a Load Limit Calculator are added for convenience.

It's in a PDF format for easy downloading.

MIC Tire Guide
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#1 12-19-2011, 10:21 PM,
Thanks for the info.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#2 12-20-2011, 07:05 PM,
Excellent, thank you Roleketu. And there's even a section that say's to never mount a car tire on a motorcycle and explains why.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#3 12-20-2011, 07:13 PM,
Great info, Thanks.... :d
Ride to Live... Live to Ride....
#4 12-20-2011, 08:54 PM,
Sounds like something no Goldwinger would ever want to read.

Overloading the bike? Nah, I am sure none of us ever do that! Also Precisely why no bike rear tire is built strong enough for a Goldwing in use.

I am sure that that book probably agrees with Honda in that a motorcycle must never pull a trailer either, never mind carry two passengers who are not anemic midgets, and all their gear.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#5 12-20-2011, 11:47 PM,
The guide contains only sensible recommendations to help bike operators arrive home more safely. If you need to tow your Toyota car or way overloaded camper or trailer loaded with 10 cases of beer behind your already overloaded Gold Wing nobody is going to stop you, but, most folks will certainly say I told you so after your bike is wrecked and you end up in the hospital or morgue. In fact you can drive with bald tires or underinflated or even car tires on your bike and the only one that will regret it is the operator if something goes wrong. The guide is simply safety precautions and the rest of the equation is common sense, unfortunately, common sense is not something that is spread out equally amongst all bike riders, but, natural selection seems to bring things into proper order eventually.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#6 12-21-2011, 12:19 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chart to determine correct motorcycle tire size. 2 1,403 02-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Last Post: aspengold
  Very good experience with American Motorcycle Tire 6 3,399 06-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Last Post: 85GL1200I
  Canadian motorcycle tire dealers Ziggy 3 2,870 05-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Fatwing Chris