Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Helmet Headsets ...Can this be done cheaply?
Hi all...
Being a new sei owner i'm looking for helmets for this spring. i was under the impression the headsets came with helmet. no such thing.
headsets w/mic are purchased separetly for a lot of stew.
Does anyone have an alternative to this big expense? or maybe recommand and new brand or website? i don't know much about this system, does the cb come into headset? and the music? and what about the intercom? any advice for buying used? %%-
#1 01-11-2012, 02:11 PM,
See if you can "borrow" a head set / helmet from someone first to see if your system works properly. Hate to see you buy all new sets and not have the system work. Head sets are very expensive indeed. I've tried some cheapo sets in the past, and they are exactly that. Cheap... Save your money and get the J&M's. Very good quality and last a long time. They also have several different levels of entry(pricing). To answer your other question, yes. Everything goes through the headsets. Good Luck!
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#2 01-11-2012, 04:06 PM,
the intercom pretty much has to go thru helmets/headsets due to needing mics,the intercoms only work with the stock radio too unless you get soemthing like a Scala 2 setup, but they are about $250 per pair

the speakers can be used to hear radio or cb but most times at highway speeds doesn't work well

there just isn't any cheap alternative, you might post in the "For Sale " section a WTB Helmets w/Headsets ad
and see if someone has some they have upgraded from but most people when they change helmets move their headsets to the new helmets due to the + $125 or more cost per headset
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#3 01-11-2012, 07:02 PM,
All of a sudden I appreciate the last minute freebee I got with my Aspy this fall - a jumble of stuff in a plastic bag that resolved itself to be two headsets/mics. They work on the bike but I have yet to install them in helmets.
MagnAndy
current:
. -1985 VF750C-E Honda Magna (2009-current)
. -1986 GL1200 Honda Goldwing (2011-current)
Previous:
. -1985 VF750C-E Honda Magna (1990-1994)
. -19?? KZ650 Kawi (1973-1977)
. -19?? BSA 250 Starfire
(1971-1973)
#4 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM,
Our first set were the inexpensive type made by IMC. They worked ok but were flimsy and the wind noise was aggravating. After doing quite a bit of research, we settled on J&M and are very pleased with their product. The extra cost was well worth it.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#5 01-11-2012, 08:07 PM,
I have a headset but my bike has aftermarket radio. I have a wire bundle of my old aspy does anyone know if the headset speakers would handle the power the radio puts out think its about 20 . I dont know what the output of stock radio is before the amp. dont want to mess up a good headset when i dont know if it will even work
#6 12-07-2012, 06:18 PM,
to cut down the wind noise put one of those finger sleeves used for counting money or dealing with large amounts of papers there hard rubber with holes on the back. put the holes towards your mouth. then the sock and plastic grad over that. this helps alot
To Thine own self be True. To all the others Be Better
#7 12-07-2012, 08:26 PM,