Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Slow speed steering issue?
OK guys lets see if you can help with this issue,when I give my handle bars a shake back and forth I get a real noticeable reverberation comming back from the tire area, this is mostly a problem starting off and doing tight slow turns ,makes you really have to fight the bike,I have replaced the stem bearings ,done forks and seals and bushings.added heavy duty fork brace and checked and double checked for any looseness also replaced springs ,nothing helps..Have increased and decreased both tire and shock air pressure.
Heres the funny part if I put a couple of peices of newspaper under the front tire all is normal...I have no handling issues over 5mph everything is great.
Starting to think that this is just the nature of the beast any help would be great
Dave
#1 03-26-2012, 04:03 PM,
If everything is right the GL1200 should not shake. Most often cupping on the front tire is the culprit and low tire pressure is next, closely followed by loose steering head bearings. Run a full hand gently across the face of the tread on your front tire and you should feel a bumpy pattern to the tire surface or in some cases you can see the dips and hollows by just looking at the tire. A new tire almost always cures this problem. Keeping tire pressure up to max tends to keep cupping to a minimum, but, cupping is a sad but always present factor on most motorcycles.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 03-27-2012, 04:12 AM,
Will start by adjusting stem bearing setting it hasn't been reset since I replaced them 8000km ago but they still seem plenty tight but will check anyway
Failing that will replace tire ,don't see any obvious issues but have about 15,000km on them and could be worn or cupped
Will advise Thanks Vic
#3 03-27-2012, 05:37 PM,
I agree that the stearing head bearings and tire should be looked at first. Steering head bearings are more than likely a touch loose, now that they have been seated from use.

If it still persists, have a look at the front wheel bearings, axle alignment and axle caps are seated properly.
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#4 03-28-2012, 02:56 AM,
Also have a look at the brake rotors. Sometimes I have seen tire installers through the wheel down on the floor and when they do that the rotors can easily get bent and then the rotors must be replaced and you can be sure that the tire installer is not going to pay for them. That's why I always like to be present when a shop works on my tires because too many times I have seen them goof up and if I wasn't there they most likely would not even tell me about any mishaps they may have had with my expensive parts.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#5 03-28-2012, 03:58 AM,
Just to clairify things ,The wobble that I have is when I am starting off ,not when I am really riding,no 30km shimmy or shake! Back it out of the driveway and hit small bump bad reverb, likewise starting off,likewise when trying to make tight circle real fight,also own Suzuki C50 and have compared reaction C50 no problem, thought it was just me but switched bikes with friend and when we got home he said what the heck is wrong with this thing,this only happens at walking speed or less....
#6 03-31-2012, 05:57 AM,
machz54 Wrote:Just to clairify things ,The wobble that I have is when I am starting off ,not when I am really riding,no 30km shimmy or shake! Back it out of the driveway and hit small bump bad reverb, likewise starting off,likewise when trying to make tight circle real fight,also own Suzuki C50 and have compared reaction C50 no problem, thought it was just me but switched bikes with friend and when we got home he said what the heck is wrong with this thing,this only happens at walking speed or less....

I've got a front end from an 84 - if your interested send me an email
#7 03-31-2012, 07:06 AM,
Reset stem bearing tension,no difference!!
#8 04-01-2012, 09:52 AM,
just curious, how did you reset the steering bearing.....do you have the honda tool?
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#9 04-01-2012, 03:46 PM,
A homemade one torqued to spec...
#10 04-02-2012, 01:08 PM,