Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help From Air Suspension Gurus
My air compressor system is not working properly. Here are the symptoms. If I try to add air, the compressor runs for a couple seconds and shuts off, followed by a pffft sound. The bike neither goes up or down when I hit the appropriate buttons.When I try to use the auto level feature when going down the road the numbers change but there doesn't seem to be any change in the ride or ride height. The bike has almost 100,000 miles on it. Whare do I start? :?
#1 07-18-2007, 03:30 PM,
Okay- has the desiccant ever been changed? If not or you do not know then you are probably looking at a system that will need major cleaning--but you can do it if you have the time and are willing to get a few scratches on the backs of your hands. The compressor system consists of controls, valves, dryer system, and a valve body. The desiccant needs to be replaced and the system will need to be cleaned and blown out to most likely fix your problem.
1st get a manual.
2nd try contact cleaner on the switches to make sure that are working / contacting properly.
3rd use this post as I could not have fixed mine with out it
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?t=87&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0">http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopi ... sc&start=0</a><!-- m -->

Lastly something not mentioned here was the valve body may be so gunked up that it may need nearly complete disassembly to get the valves working correctly. Please let us/ me know and I we/ I will try to steer you in the right direction. Its crowded working conditions but I can certainly say I did it so you can too and it is well worth the end result.

good luck
Tim
currenlty own
Car, truck, and bicycle :)
formerly owned
86 SEI,83GL 650i,82GL 500i
450 nighthawk, german spec CB 650, KZ 100, YZ 125, CT90
http://catman01.webs.com/
#2 07-18-2007, 04:01 PM,
Thanks. Think I'll wait until I have lots of time to dig in there. Bike rides pretty good as is anyway. 8)
#3 07-18-2007, 04:22 PM,
if you are pretty good with your hands, you are looking at a saturday afternoon or morning...just read first and then work
Tim
currenlty own
formerly owned
#4 07-18-2007, 05:18 PM,
catman Wrote:if you are pretty good with your hands, you are looking at a saturday afternoon or morning...just read first and then work

Just as a clue for a new owner, how much disassembly is required to get access to the compressor parts and switches and such?

Rich
#5 10-09-2007, 07:56 PM,
removal of the right pocket
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#6 10-09-2007, 08:14 PM,
Rich,
Do you have a manual? If not download it and following the instructions- if you get stuck then give us a yell. Pretty tight quarters but as Tricky says removal of the rt side pocket and your in :lol:
Tim
currenlty own
formerly owned
#7 10-10-2007, 05:11 PM,
catman Wrote:Rich,
Do you have a manual? If not download it and following the instructions- if you get stuck then give us a yell. Pretty tight quarters but as Tricky says removal of the rt side pocket and your in :lol:

Yes, I've downloaded and printed a manual ( Haynes ) and will follow it as much as I can. I've had the right pocket out and yes, it's pretty tight in there. The PO has added some additional wiring that doesn't help with the access any. I can generally see how to get covers and things off but didn't see how to get the button panel off.

My immediate concern is the air outlet which doesn't seem to work at all for me. I've pushed and pushed on the button to no avail. I have been able to get the front and rear pressures to go up and down with a bit of struggling. I'm thinking that some contact cleaner on the switches will be in order once I get them out where I can work on them.

Rich
#8 10-10-2007, 07:01 PM,
Rich,
the Air outlet only works when the key is turned in PARK...I made that same mistake. Try spraying silicone spray on the switches--Silicine spray will not harm anything that I am aware of. If you use contact cleaner be careful some have contents that harm paint/ plastic. Radio Shak used to have some that was totally safe- hopefully someone will chime in if they know of a safe one. Do you have a owners manual? If not you can download that one too..Park is hadlebars turned and key to the left.
Tim
currenlty own
formerly owned
#9 10-11-2007, 06:32 PM,
catman Wrote:Rich,
the Air outlet only works when the key is turned in PARK...I made that same mistake. ...

See, I knew somebody would know that kind of thing. It works pretty easily too. Yes I have an original owners manual but they forgot to put that little detail in it.

Thanks a ton.

RIch
#10 10-11-2007, 07:35 PM,
Page 24
"The air suspension system will only operate if the ignition is in the ON position with the motorcycle stopped"

Page 65
"Air compressor switch"

To inflate a tire connect the air supply hose to the outlet valve and press the switch with the ignition switch in PARK

#11 10-11-2007, 08:10 PM,
tricky Wrote:Page 24
"The air suspension system will only operate if the ignition is in the ON position with the motorcycle stopped"

Page 65
"Air compressor switch"

To inflate a tire connect the air supply hose to the outlet valve and press the switch with the ignition switch in PARK

OK, somebody please toss over a towel so I can get the egg off my face. I confess I looked at p. 24 and assumed that this was the entire description of the air compressor controls. If I'm smart I'll learn a lesson from this. Time will tell. My wife would tell you I'll make the same mistake again.

Tricky, you've saved me a lot of grief. Thanks again.
#12 10-12-2007, 05:55 PM,
Don't worry about.... don't we all....

#13 10-12-2007, 08:27 PM,