Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Intermittent Radio
My radio works wonderful in the morning or late evening, but around 1:30 - 2:00 in the afternoon it will completely fade out. The only way I know it is on is if I hit a bump I'll hear the speakers crackle.

Any ideas as to why I would lose the radio when it starts getting hot outside?

'84 Aspencade, still on Stator
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#1 09-29-2012, 11:18 AM,
Why, other than coincidence I havnt any idea. I presume you have had the radio out and opened the contacts slightly so that they contact the connector a little tighter.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 09-29-2012, 11:23 AM,
Maybe there's a radio blackout in your area at those times. Do what Tricky suggests and you might also want to pull the false tank off and and check all the wire connectors inside the fairing. These bikes have been around a few decades and it is not uncommon for some of those connectors to turn green and lose contact so a close inspection might reveal some issues.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#3 09-29-2012, 12:25 PM,
really sounds like a heat related problem,if possible try to borrow another radio from someone and try it for a couple days

since i dont see a city listed in yopur location,cant check if there is another forum member near you
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 09-29-2012, 04:42 PM,
Thanks Neo, there isn't another member in my area.. I can say it does appear to be heat related.. On cooler days or rainy days my radio works straight through.. It is only when it gets hot that it fads and finally quits.. Then after it cools down in the evening it will work fine again.

I'll have to check on the connections for any corrosion, that would explain the crackling sounds when the radio is on it's siesta!
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#5 09-29-2012, 11:44 PM,
Don't forget to check the connectors and fuses in the left fairing pocket as well. Also, when your radio goes out have you tried to vigorously shake the face of the radio to see if that makes any difference? If it does come back on when you shake it then maybe the problem is at the connections on the back of the radio. Another thing that I have seen mess up the radio is the mute button on the left handlebar. Sometimes that button will seem to work but not all contacts inside flow current correctly and it can cause radio problems that are very difficult to locate. Make certin that you clean and lubricate the mute button contacts thoroughly.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#6 09-30-2012, 02:44 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intermittent FM scooby 6 1,772 01-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Last Post: scooby