Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Digital Dash Issues
Hello All, I have a real confusing issue with my 1985 ASPY. Recently the Digital Dash Readout has been switching from the dashboard(gauges) to a scrambled screen for no reason at all(I know there must be a reason, but I don't know it). This would happen for no apparent reason, not related to a loose wire or stuck switch, might happen at idle or while under way. It seems to be related to whatever changes the dash readout from fuel and temp gauges to air pressure front and rear (Bars). During this event the voltage on my digital voltmeter drops to half of the normal 14.3 V and the engine drops 2 cylinders!

I went to check the air pressure and the dash flickered as though it was changing from fuel and temp to air pressure front and rear. Then all readouts(tach,speedo, etc.) disappeared and the bars for the air pressure readout(both fuel and temp) are flashing constantly. I have located and tested the air compressor relay( as shown in the service manual on the left side of the ECU.) it works as it should. I have tested all the air compressor switches and they show continuity when pushed, even the micro switch that changes from front to rear.

I am thinking there might be another relay inside the digital dash that changes the readouts? ANY help, suggestions, experience, etc. will be APPRECIATED.

Thanks, Barry
1979 CB750K (Brown)
1983 Interstate (Blue)
1985 Aspencade (Black)
#1 02-02-2013, 10:45 AM,
actually it sounds like a connector problem since its not a permanent problem
there are several connector behind the headlight that have an effect
do you have a copy of the 85 ETM ?

sent you some files to your email address
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 02-02-2013, 12:38 PM,
Further update; the dash doesn't go through the initialization phase(when all the digits light up to show they are working) anymore. It stays blank, and the bars flash.

I will pull the windshield trim soon and check the connectors in there. Thanks, neoracer.
1979 CB750K (Brown)
1983 Interstate (Blue)
1985 Aspencade (Black)
#3 02-02-2013, 05:47 PM,
About 1-2 months ago I bought a "new" '85 Aspy and had my m'cycle mechanic go through it. Everything was fine BUT the digital dash which did not display the gear changes. After awhile, he concluded that water had gotten into a connector (which are supposed to be sealed against water) and corrosion had done some damage. So I hunted for a replacement and found one on eBay for about $80 (with a money back guarantee). The digital dash was replaced and the problem went away.

So I guess my mechanic (and neoracer Big Grin ) was right. It makes sense: the digital dash is very electronically sensitive, and water getting into the system corroding connections and components can change a lot of things. Just a thought. At least inspect ALL the connections to determine whether or not they are sealed, and do not show any signs of water getting into them.
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#4 02-02-2013, 08:49 PM,