Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bad Waterpump
So been doing my winter/early spring maintenance on my 84 Interstate.
I had procured the Waterpump and gasket set but weather is starting to get nice.

I was going to shortcut putting in a waterpump as it only dripped water once in a while and would only give me a drop of oil after it had sat for a few weeks.

Well today I was working on pulling Radiator for timing belts and hoses and such and decided to pull the hose housing at the front of the waterpump. I found the waterpump was the fiber/plastic type and very sloppy in there.

So I pulled it on down.
Noticed a lot of grease accumulation on the front of the engine and such and it appeared someone had been in here before.

Besides the really annoying squeking sound the pump makes when turning it by hand, it pretty much told me it was about to die hard.

Attached Files
.jpg   100_3621.JPG (Size: 269.35 KB / Downloads: 49)
.jpg   100_3619.JPG (Size: 205 KB / Downloads: 45)
Andy
Silver 1984 Interstate
GWRRA WAO
#1 03-09-2013, 09:30 PM,
Like the Fram oil filter commercial says "pay him now or pay him later" good thing you opened it up now
#2 03-10-2013, 05:55 AM,
So more on the Waterpump Saga.
I was cleaning parts up and noticed some interesting things inside the Waterpump to Radiator housing.

Notice the burnishing almost scrapes in the housing.

.jpg   100_3631.JPG (Size: 242.03 KB / Downloads: 60)

I don't know if this was actually from the waterpump but it makes me wonder.

Right after I got the wing, within the first week or so. I was riding into work one morning and suddenly the bike started making this loud scream/squealing noise. I pulled in the clutch and stopped quickly and it had stopped by the time I was out of gear. I never heard it again.

Anyway glad I went on in here to take care of this one.
Andy
Silver 1984 Interstate
GWRRA WAO
#3 03-11-2013, 08:39 PM,
(03-11-2013, 08:39 PM)BigBro Wrote: So more on the Waterpump Saga.
I was cleaning parts up and noticed some interesting things inside the Waterpump to Radiator housing.

New Waterpump is in. While cleaning it I noticed some of the paint was peeling so I took the time to strip it and paint it gloss black engine enamel.

I think it is looking pretty good.

Timing belts are 90% done. Got to recheck my work tomorrow and check tension.
Then on to Poorboy install.

Attached Files
.jpg   100_3635.JPG (Size: 131.4 KB / Downloads: 40)
Andy
Silver 1984 Interstate
GWRRA WAO
#4 03-16-2013, 09:51 PM,
Andy, Nice work and great save...I found one of those water pumps in this current motor I have on the rebuild bench...same thing, it wobbles and it loose..I always use a new OEM Honda pump..until someone can build one like that, just isn't worth what you save I think.
But yours looks good! Happy Riding!
Paul
Hillsboro, Oregon
#5 03-16-2013, 11:58 PM,