Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Air or Gel
Now that Wanda has been put away for the winter, thoughts turn to improving a nagging problem - the seat!

I don't have the funds or desire required to go with an aftermarket seat but looking at items such as the Air Max or Pro Pad lead me to believe they may offer a viable alternative.

Does anyone have any experience / recommendations?
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#1 10-26-2012, 09:53 AM,
Hi Ian, funny you bring up this topic.
I also need to do something with my seat and was looking at a couple of options.
The trip I took this Fall confirmed that my 27 year old seat needs some help, the cover is in perfect condition but you can sure feel that the cushion has had it's good days,
Deb did buy me a sheep skin seat cover to try out recently, I'll keep you informed how it feels when I get a chance on some nice days here to ride and try it out.
Johan
#2 10-26-2012, 01:51 PM,
Several years ago, in hopes of improving the seating on our 'Wing, I spent several hundred bucks on having new, firmer foam installed in addition to having a gel pad added to the rider portion of the seat. Sadly, we can still only manage 100 km or so before numb-bum sets in.

We have used lamb-skin seat pads for many years and while they do a good job of keeping your butt cool or warm, they don't add much to the comfort scenario.

It seems to me the air pads make the most sense as the pressure can be adjusted for the user's weight. I'm thinking I'll order one for my wife for Christmas and, if she likes it, I can get another one for me.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#3 10-26-2012, 03:21 PM,
bought one of these buttbuffer pads to use along with my corbin seats,only had a 200 and a 300 mile trip with it but seems to do ok,but then i have 400 to 600 mile trips with just the corbins that weren't bad too,alot depends on time in saddle and length of day.always seems that the first long trip of year is the worst,lol
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.buttbuffer.com/index.php?cPath=1">http://www.buttbuffer.com/index.php?cPath=1</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.propoly.ca/product-line/motorcycles">http://www.propoly.ca/product-line/motorcycles</a><!-- m --> (canadian site)

pretty much anything is better than a stock seat

i have several corbin seats that are custom made,one for me and one that appears to be a twin,one is better than the other on long trips more than 100 miles
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 10-26-2012, 04:25 PM,
I have a used Diamond seat on my bike and it is incredible to sit on. It took me 4 tries at obtaining different used seats until I got this very comfy one. After trying each seat I put the ones I did not want out for sale and they sold almost instantly, 2 of them for more than I paid for them. I know other members here that did the same and they are very happy with their used seat. Just a suggestion Ian.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#5 10-26-2012, 04:41 PM,
I tried everything on my stock seat and spent hundreds of $ on it. Sheep skin, gel pads, rebuilt the foam, beads and a cheap air pad but nothing really helped. I found a used Diamond seat on e-bay, it was like new and was the best money I ever spent on my wing. I don't know if it is for everyone but it sure works for me.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#6 10-27-2012, 04:38 AM,
We suffered through the first season with the busted stock seat. We are now on side with the Diamond Seat Gang, riding comfy for the last 30,000 km

#7 10-27-2012, 05:35 AM,
(10-26-2012, 04:41 PM)admin Wrote: I have a used Diamond seat on my bike and it is incredible to sit on. It took me 4 tries at obtaining different used seats until I got this very comfy one. After trying each seat I put the ones I did not want out for sale and they sold almost instantly, 2 of them for more than I paid for them. I know other members here that did the same and they are very happy with their used seat. Just a suggestion Ian.

Would anyone know if a GL1500 mounts would match a GL1200? Or are the Diamond seat mounts replaced by those from the stock one? I'm looking at one now online. Thanks.
Dan
Past Rides:
'57 Allstate (Puch) Moped
'68 Honda CL350
'71 Honda CB750 K1
'65 Ossa Stiletto 250
Gloria - '69 Pontiac GTO convertible
Current:
Angela - '85 Honda GL1200A
Silvia - '05 Honda GL1800
#8 03-28-2013, 10:18 AM,
(03-28-2013, 10:18 AM)GWdan Wrote:
(10-26-2012, 04:41 PM)admin Wrote: I have a used Diamond seat on my bike and it is incredible to sit on. It took me 4 tries at obtaining different used seats until I got this very comfy one. After trying each seat I put the ones I did not want out for sale and they sold almost instantly, 2 of them for more than I paid for them. I know other members here that did the same and they are very happy with their used seat. Just a suggestion Ian.

Would anyone know if a GL1500 mounts would match a GL1200? Or are the Diamond seat mounts replaced by those from the stock one? I'm looking at one now online. Thanks.

Totally different mounts and the 1500 seat is bigger(longer and wider).
I spent a ton of money and time trying to redo a stock 1200 and I did make it better,but defifntely not nearly as good as any aftermarket.Just can't seem to be able to find the right firmness of foam for the job.IMHO you're better to save the money you spend on air pads,gel pads,sheepskins etc,etc ... and find an aftermarket seat.Even if it's used it will be better.The best money you can spend on your baby.Love my Hartco.
Fatwing Chris
If Id'a known it would last this long I would've taken better care of it !!!
[Image: NewBabyPicsSpring024SmallCustom-1.jpg]
#9 03-28-2013, 03:44 PM,
Thanks Chris. I appreciate your insight.
Dan
Past Rides:
'57 Allstate (Puch) Moped
'68 Honda CL350
'71 Honda CB750 K1
'65 Ossa Stiletto 250
Gloria - '69 Pontiac GTO convertible
Current:
Angela - '85 Honda GL1200A
Silvia - '05 Honda GL1800
#10 03-29-2013, 04:31 PM,
(03-29-2013, 04:31 PM)GWdan Wrote: Thanks Chris. I appreciate your insight.

I know it's hard to come up with money for an aftermarket seat although every now and then a good used one shows up.I just hate to see people spending money on trying different temporary fixes and then end up buying a seat anyway.I don't know how many $60 dollar sheepskins I've bought over the years,but it would have probably paid for a good seat.JMHO.
Fatwing Chris
If Id'a known it would last this long I would've taken better care of it !!!
[Image: NewBabyPicsSpring024SmallCustom-1.jpg]
#11 03-30-2013, 06:59 AM,