Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Stator?
Hey guys, I'm looking at a new stator on e-bay. It's made by Niche..has anyone heard/used one of these? Trying to figure out if it's a reliable part to use, it's only $90 & has a claimed 20% higher than stock output. So it's an OK price,but, not if it's an off brand or a part that has given people poor service. so..anyone?
#1 02-25-2011, 08:59 PM,
Never heard of that one. When we replaced the stock stator, I bought from RM Stator in Quebec: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rmstator.com">www.rmstator.com</a><!-- w --> because I couldn't afford Mother Honda's price.

As you are no doubt aware, if you stick a no-name stator in your 1200 and it doesn't work, the initial low price didn't really matter, did it?
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#2 02-25-2011, 09:09 PM,
Thanks Keener, you are correct....it won't be much of a bargain. Confusedhock: I have an RM stator & reg/rec for my '84...I'll be attempting to install that one when it warms up. My '87 is working fine,but, I did notice that the 3 yellow wires/plug had been "fixed"....but the job looks poor at best. So, I'm just trying to get ahead in case..or rather when it's time to do that one. I haven't seen the Niche name either,( except for exhausts ) that's why I thought I should ask before trying it. Never hurts to have other opinions!
BTW, how long have you had yours? Are you happy with it?
#3 02-25-2011, 10:25 PM,
Do you know of the Poorboy conversion? Before putting in another stator, you may want to search on here for that option.
#4 02-26-2011, 05:59 AM,
Though I'm a diehard keep it stock kinda guy, Fire1386 has a really good point.

A good friend of ours was of the same mind a year ago when his stator went. He installed a replacement only to have it fail very shortly thereafter. He installed the Poorboy kit and is very pleased.

Should ours quit, I will be doing the same.
Ian
#5 02-26-2011, 08:37 AM,
you've been a member for quite awhile and i'm sure you've seen the trials and tribulations of stator replacements,last years a member from gravenhurst(dont see him on database) went thru two failed replacements before poorboy installation and i think 84wingnut went thru two before getting a good stator,to me with the info i know about stators,etc i would look at a used wing and deduct money from the asking price if i was buying,knowing that sooner or later i was going to have to do the poorboy conversion,or that it was being sold because it was bad and the PO wasn't honest about it and probably alot of other things

considering your riding season is even shorter than ours here in the "south" it would be a no brainer situation........imho
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#6 02-26-2011, 10:22 AM,
Thanks guys, yes I read all the problems that are associated with the infamous Honda stators. I feel on my Standard I want to keep it original as I can. Of coarse the poor boy is the answer for other than the Standards. I appreciate all the feedback; :mrgreen: I haven't heard of the Niche stators and just wondered if anyone else had... :d
BTW, Neo..what/where ( brand names) were those failed stators from?
#7 02-26-2011, 11:35 AM,
only one i've heard good things about is "ricks", claims about % over stock makes me skeptical to say the least,there only so much room to put windings,etc i.m sure that some of our engineering gurus sooner or later will chime in
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#8 02-26-2011, 11:42 AM,
I went with a "Rick's Stator".............
My original OEM Honda stator checked out good according to all the static and running checks. And I mean all the checks. After riding and everything getting up to temp., the output voltage would drop to about 12.5 volts and less.
After about a year of this, I pulled the engine a couple of weeks ago. What I found was most educational.
I found a semi-broken wire on the stator just at the point where the leads come off the stator.
Doing cold checks and testing, the wire would make a connection and all would test good.
But when the stator heated up good, the wire would separate and voltage output would drop also.
Let me also say the insulation coating was also charred in a couple of places on the stator coil assembly.
I installed a new "Rick's Stator".......... I fired the motorcycle up yesterday. Hooray....
Charging at 13.4 ~ 13.7 volts at 1000 rpm idle, and charging at 14.4 ~ 14.8 volts at 1850 rpm's and above. I also installed a new regulator/rectifier from Rick's. And everything is hardwired in and soldered. No plug-in connectors.
1984 GL1200 Aspencade - Original Owner (SOLD Jan. 14, 2012) .......
Two tone Metallic Beige
Hondaline stereo and CB radio
Markland Electronic Cruise Control

GL1800 - Original Owner
Caliente Metallic Red
Comfort & Premium Audio Package with CB Radio
#9 05-07-2011, 07:36 AM,
I have the Mother Honda replacement stator in my bike, about 40.000 kl on it and still working. The past owner put it in just before he sold me the bike. When it goes bad, and it will, I am going with the poor boy conversion without a second thought.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#10 05-07-2011, 09:03 AM,
Question for Bladerunner or Keener: how has the stator from RMSTATOR worked out for you? I tried their stator (made in China) AND IT FAILED AND ITS REPLACEMENT FAILED within (3K miles or 1 yr). When I asked them if they can build a reliable stator, their reply was "they have been in business for 15 yrs and they are the only ones offering a warranty" (oh, you'll need it). Just my opinion, but if you looked up "China Junk" in the gearhead dictionary you'd find RMSTATOR...

Went with Poor Boy conversion, even though I wanted to keep GW original, went on a long ride last week with no problems. I chose the Poor Boy because RMSTATOR stranded me on the roadside twice. A big thanks to Poor Boy Don Pigott!
Dan
Past Rides:
'57 Allstate (Puch) Moped
'68 Honda CL350
'71 Honda CB750 K1
'65 Ossa Stiletto 250
Gloria - '69 Pontiac GTO convertible
Current:
Angela - '85 Honda GL1200A
Silvia - '05 Honda GL1800
#11 08-05-2013, 05:16 AM,
Dan, the RMStator lasted about 5,000 km or thereabouts! It was a piece of junk!

Wanting to keep the 'Wing as close to stock as possible, we replaced it with the up-graded Honda stator in 2011 and (fingers crossed) it's working just fine.

If you feel going to an external unit would be better for you, send an e-mail or PM to Poorboy. His package is the top of the line. If you run a Search on the homepage for external stator, you'll get pretty well all the info you need to make a decision.
Ian
#12 08-05-2013, 03:19 PM,
(08-05-2013, 03:19 PM)Keener Wrote: Dan, the RMStator lasted about 5,000 km or thereabouts! It was a piece of junk!

Wanting to keep the 'Wing as close to stock as possible, we replaced it with the up-graded Honda stator in 2011 and (fingers crossed) it's working just fine.

If you feel going to an external unit would be better for you, send an e-mail or PM to Poorboy. His package is the top of the line. If you run a Search on the homepage for external stator, you'll get pretty well all the info you need to make a decision.

Thats important to know ,,,, did they do anything for you?
I'm fortunate I have a couple of (like new) stators just waiting for mine to give up the ghost (been waiting about 40K now as far as I can figure.) I have one that was rewound in a local shop and the guy I bought the parts bike off tells me he rode it for a year with no problems - looks like new except the windings are heavier. I hear the new stators from Honda last real well now.
#13 08-05-2013, 06:25 PM,
(08-05-2013, 06:25 PM)1060dsl Wrote:
(08-05-2013, 03:19 PM)Keener Wrote: Dan, the RMStator lasted about 5,000 km or thereabouts! It was a piece of junk!

Thats important to know ,,,, did they do anything for you?
I'm fortunate I have a couple of (like new) stators just waiting for mine to give up the ghost (been waiting about 40K now as far as I can figure.) I have one that was rewound in a local shop and the guy I bought the parts bike off tells me he rode it for a year with no problems - looks like new except the windings are heavier. I hear the new stators from Honda last real well now.

1060dsl:

I asked for a refund since I had been stranded twice and had no faith in their product. Though I pulled my GW engine twice and installed a soon-to-be failed stator, RMSTATOR did not offer anything for my troubles. I had already used up their warranty replacement unit, so they felt that nothing else was due me. A refund was out of the question. You'd have to wonder, with their quality? product and poor customer service how they will continue.

I installed the Poor Boy last weekend and I have to say that it isn't visible to the untrained eye, yet I believe that it will be a reliable addition. It is just a shame that GL1200 has this charging weakness, Honda has usually set their quality bar quite high, but this is an exception - or generation 1 Civic for that matter.
Dan
Past Rides:
'57 Allstate (Puch) Moped
'68 Honda CL350
'71 Honda CB750 K1
'65 Ossa Stiletto 250
Gloria - '69 Pontiac GTO convertible
Current:
Angela - '85 Honda GL1200A
Silvia - '05 Honda GL1800
#14 08-05-2013, 07:53 PM,
I contacted RMStator, first by e-mail but received no reply. Then by 'phone and they said they would replace the stator but as there was no way I wanted another one of their bits, I asked for a refund. They said that was not their policy. After much debate, I walked away. I even had my wife speak to them in French but that didn't work either!

I have added them to my "Do Not Buy From These People" list.

Walter, another member, also had a similar experience. I think he got less than 1,000 km on his RM stator and no satisfaction from the company.
Ian
#15 08-06-2013, 08:27 AM,