Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
You have to look inside, GL1200 Stator Connector
So I am finishing upi my planned winter maintenance cycle.
Forks to Waterpump and all things in between.

Since I was down so far I have been pulling connectors apart cleaning them with Contact cleaner and then putting dielectric grease in there.
Mostly PM because they have been really dry and occasionally a little green and here in the Pacific Northwet I just know she will get a little wet at times.

Anyway, I also added a poorboy kit as I want to run some extra lights for visibility, etc.

I was now back at the battery area doing connectors and mapping out how I was going to mount a 50A Maxi-fuse with Waterproof holder.

I had been in here when I bought the bike and then again when I had some ignition switch problems but never pulled anything apart other than the Dogbone fuse holder.

Look at what I found.

.jpg   connector looks normal.JPG (Size: 116.85 KB / Downloads: 45)
Looks like someone replaced the upper connector

.jpg   Lots of Electrial tape and it is FAT..JPG (Size: 181.18 KB / Downloads: 35)
it was still working and actually charged well but we were well on our way to getting stranded.

.jpg   They were still working too.JPG (Size: 124.45 KB / Downloads: 36)

.jpg   Look here a burnt wire.JPG (Size: 139.8 KB / Downloads: 29)
Mostly shared these in the hopes that others find it useful...
Andy
Silver 1984 Interstate
GWRRA WAO
#1 03-21-2013, 08:47 PM,
Thanks for posting BigBro - I am right in that area of maintenance this spring...

#2 03-22-2013, 04:37 AM,
I was thinking about this last night after I posted it.

Being a Radio Tech from way back this is very possibly the issue I was chasing in my Radio system on the wing.

I would be riding along the Tunes playing. Suddenly the radio starts making this kind of "farting" noise out of the speakers and then it would go away. Sometimes it would do it a lot and other times it would barely do it.
I was thinking bad connections in the radio circuits first.

But since the antenna cable runs right along side the stator wires under the tank this starts to sound like it may have been my issue.
I can't recall if the radio would make this noise while sitting without the engine running(don't do that much) as I get it back together minus a charging circuit via stator I will have to see if that makes a difference.

Happy Hunting.
Andy
Silver 1984 Interstate
GWRRA WAO
#3 03-22-2013, 07:26 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This is what my Stator Connector looks like canuckrider 8 3,655 04-18-2013, 04:56 AM
Last Post: wingandaprayer
  Regulator Connector - One Spade Connector Melted WingMan71 6 2,460 09-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Last Post: WingMan71
  Stator Wire Connector Repair neoracer 4 1,976 05-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Last Post: Ed Z
  STATOR CONNECTOR REPLACE PLUG???? MIKE BURNS 21 9,765 03-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Last Post: admin